OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not a scan, just an evolution... they only created the mesh on the 20 evo and newer units.
Dunno, the kit remembers all other pairings (Freewire & phone) without any problems, but drops the equally important intercom pairing instantly??
Fascinating illogical...

There is a BT to Mesh adapter for those with the pre-mesh units, I don't have any experience with it but looks to be something that would make things easier.
Amazon.com: Sena +Mesh Bluetooth to Mesh Intercom Adapter : Electronics
Already looked at this, but it seems confusing...
- seems there is no privacy, any other rider/group coincidentally coming into range will suddenly be on that channel... (yep, can switch CH1 to 9, but other will be just as smart...)
- is this constantly open mike, VOX or PTT operated? If the latter, will I even hear it when my GF following behind hammers on her button?
- will my Freewire switch back to tunes/GPS audio once the +Mesh gets quiet or what?

I'm working in HVAC, integrating kits into all kinds of BMS, LonWorks, BACnet, KNX, WiFi controllers... you name it...
We've detailed lists and layouts which components you'd require for which applications and product ranges... full documentations, installation manuals, etc...
Seek such for BT intercoms... nadda...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Kept studying...
Table is covered with printouts... full versions, you have to locate yourself due agonizing Inet forensics...
One BT chip-set can handle 2 channels... that's like one GPS and one headset, that's it... incidentally activate BT on your phone and one of the prev pairings will be dropped...
Sena however claims 4-way communication... they call that Audio Multitasking, so it's zapping around, like a female brain...

Still doesn't explain why the headset pairings won't re-establish after powering down and back up... just being moody?

TBC...

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Kept studying...
Table is covered with printouts... full versions, you have to locate yourself due agonizing Inet forensics...
One BT chip-set can handle 2 channels... that's like one GPS and one headset, that's it... incidentally activate BT on your phone and one of the prev pairings will be dropped...
Sena however claims 4-way communication... they call that Audio Multitasking, so it's zapping around, like a female brain...

Still doesn't explain why the headset pairings won't re-establish after powering down and back up... just being moody?

TBC...
It has been my experience with my 20S EVO that it will re-pair after powering down and back up again. However, it doesn't seem to happen instantly. Usually, it takes several seconds before the coms will pair again. 90 percent of the time, its so slow, I will go fishing for my phone to re-pair the units myself. It's about the moment that I get my phone out the connection is restored. LOL.

Another observation, I experienced connection problems with others after using the smart pairing feature through my phone whenever the phone screen is locked. Consequently, I used the Android smart lock feature to keep the screen unlocked while the phone is connected to the 20S Evo.

If you can do this with your phone, it might help your unit to re-pair faster with others. That said, I have found my Sena unit, relative to its cost, to be a very unrefined and finicky product.

Despite many of my frustrations, I find BT coms are helpful to communicate with other others on a group ride. Like most things in life, functionality and performance frequently require a compromise. Even mesh units have drawbacks and limitations. In the end, you have to make a choice and do what works best for you. Nevertheless, the companies that make BT coms don't make it easy to understand all of this before or even after purchase.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, seems we've figured it out...

use of handlebar remote kinda mandatory... it eases the process...
Will have to test if we stay with the Sena RC4 clip on remocons, or check out the RC3 surface mount with larger buttons to fat-finger with gloves on...

- press center button once, beep -> intercom indicates activation with another beep
- press center again, beep - > intercom indicates that it's severed also with another beep -> and my FreeWire comes back on with music & GPS audio :cool:
- both parties can start/stop the intercom with the center button on his/her remocon any time

but you'll have to be a little patient, it can take a couple of seconds till the system actually responds

That's pretty much what we want from that equipment...
No phone, no GPS via BT...

Next round will be getting the Sena SLR2 for my Neotec II doing the same...
Unclear if my remocon can hande/remember two my helmet headsets...
Also unclear if the FreeWire audio I/F can handle/remember my two helmet headsets...
Further unclear if my two helmet headset will be able to handle/remember my two FreeWire I/Fs installed in those two ST1100's I run...

To pair or not to pair... that's the question...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alright, more success...

GF's SC10UA will remember both, my 10U and the SLR II headset...
Intercom works, the RC4 remote works (again with both my headsets), even the FreeWire remembered both...

One of the main issues with BT: the patience required... ;)
Seriously, it can take up to 40 seconds till the headset prompts that it has found zis or zat device again...

I further fixed the keypad/microphone bracket in her C3 helmet a bit better...
Wearing glasses and ear-studs she needs to pull the helmet base a bit further apart, so the bracket clips out and raised upward...
A few pieces of some seriously sticking double sided tape (the one you mount the bases for action cameras with) should cure that...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OK, first field test/shakedown run today...
Attendants: GF's Sena SC10UA and my SLR II...

Excellent communication as long as line of sight is given, also over several hundred meters, with a building or some hill in between it's gone... some crackling that's it... but instant re-connection once we've sight again...
The handlebar remote is quite handy, push center button once, channel is established, push again, it's severed... works for/on both parties... good to keep wind noises from the other's helmet at bay, and we're not constantly yapping anyway... will need to find a decent place for it though, can't spare the space on the grip with by big paws...
With intercom active a longer loss of sight/connection will be signaled by some warning beeps...
If the connection cannot be established from the beginning, you'll get a spoken "intercom failed!" message...
The thing is generally quite chatty... more on this in the other thread...
So far it works as advised, as long as you acknowledge the rule that the kit/BT chipset cannot handle more then two connections...

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom