Shelf,gadget attachments,accessory plugs advice?

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I kind of have the shelf covered with a morning email to Roy Fletcher.
Now I need a "cheap" way to attach my V1, Garmin nuvi 765t, and Iphone. I plan to hard wire the V1 and need accessory plugs for the Garmin and Iphone charger.......or I could just use one and swap out to charge batterys on both. Car charger is really not the best way to charge the Iphone anyway. For one plug, do I need a fuse block or can it just be hard wired to the battery and use an inline fuse?

Bike
2000 ST1100PY
I would fuze EVERYTHING coming off of the battery! You'd think that a battery would not cause power spikes, but they can and will. This is why every electrical system on a bike/car/truck/train/or plane is fused by the factory.
Also it would be an idea to put a relay in there somewhere so you dont have power draining when the bike is turned off. If you put the relay onto something like your lights then you'd only get power to the devices when the lights are running, which is usualy when the motor is charging the battery.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've attached my GPS and radar detector to the Roy Fletcher shelf via ram mounts, as shown in the attached photos. Power is handled via PowerLet panel mounted receptacles. I'd advise using switched power; you can get it with a quartet harness, or simply use the wires leading to the plug that the quartet harness connects to. (Sorry about the picture quality, but I think they show what you need to see.)

Attachments

kieth

Autocom
Cheapest way is with a terminal block, get one at radio shack 8 attachment points, get jumpers so you will have 4 hots and 4 grounds. If you want use a inline fuse for each device you can but I normally just fuse the block since the amp load is very light radar, cell, gps 2 amps max. put the terminal block on the bottom of the shelf and wire everything to it. Kieth

ps If you want to have a quick release for each device use a 2 prong sae connector for each device ($3.00 at walmart) then if you have multiple bikes you can move the device from one bike to the next and wire them all for the sae plug in, no expensive multiple bases needed. Kieth

cheapest is the clunky cig. plug/receptical. the power cords are plentyful and cheaper than the hard wire counter part. also the fues that protect the device are already installed in the plug. you'll still want to install an inline fuse to protect the wiring you install on the bike, to service the cig receptical(s). i have to admit these arn't as apealing as the slimmer plugs available. the cig plugs are only good for small lods like electronics. when you start looking at something like heated gear/compressors and the like, you should look to plugs like the bmw type.

Top Bottom