Shell Tech Says We Can Use Rotella T6

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I emailed them and asked if we can use the grades of Rotella T6 5w40 and 15w40 which they claim meets JASO MA/MA2, and they said yes it is safe to use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. I trust this far more than unverified claims of clutch failure made on an internet forum. Especially as I and many others use these oils without any problems. Hopefully this will put all the BS on this site about using Rotella to rest. I had contacted with two departments and people. I have removed their signature for privacy reasons. Most importantly I have this in writing.

IMG_0233.jpeg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And by all means, you should use it :rofl1:
After all, you've found pictures of the product with a motorcycle on the bottle, which nobody else has ever seen before.
And a Robot answered your email and told you to buy their product!
Keep using it, enjoy it, and let us know when you replace your clutch when it starts slipping.
It is pretty funny that when you speak to a human a shell, they go completely against what your robot email suggests to do.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
And by all means, you should use it :rofl1:
After all, you've found pictures of the product with a motorcycle on the bottle, which nobody else has ever seen before.
And a Robot answered your email and told you to buy their product!
Keep using it, enjoy it, and let us know when you replace your clutch when it starts slipping.
It is pretty funny that when you speak to a human a shell, they go completely against what your robot email suggests to do.
I talked to a person and I removed their signature for privacy reasons.

@W0QNX has over 60K miles on what you are calling the new formula.

BTW, I notice you appear to be recommending none JASO MA/MA2 oil and you claim you have customers coming to you for clutch repairs. Just wondering what your motivation is for constantly rejecting Shells claims and recommending none JASO MA/MA2 oils? For example Rotella 10w30 does not meet JASO MA/MA2 requirements so it is likely to cause clutch failure.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Bike
2000 ST1100
These oil threads are Alway's more entertainment than informative. At least that's my opinion. Again whatever oil you are using and have been using and it's worked well i say keep using it. Currently using car oil in my lawn mower and it is happy as a clam. Don't over think it guy's :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I only have one question....
How many ST clutches have you opened up, inspected, or actually replaced?
Surfing, repeating, and posting advertising, to try and make a point are one thing.
But have you ever actually had any hands on experience with the new stuff?
I've seen it in person, first hand.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've seen it in person, first hand.
I've seen it in person, first hand as well. From the outside, because there was no reason to take the engine apart. ;) Two Suzuki's. One Honda and now a BMW with 106K miles...that doesn't use oil. And the clutch works great.

Rotella T6 5W-40. :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I happened to be in a Wallyworld yesterday and drifted over to the Auto oil section. Their Mobil 1 (for my cars) was not in stock so I spun the varioius 5 qt containers around to look at certifications. Then the Quaker State, Penzoil, and on down the shelves checking every viscosity and brand. Not a single oil there - including the Shell Rotella or other diesel oils no matter what the brand or viscocity had a motorcycle rating. The bottom of the donut in every single case was blank (unless it said resource conserving, and not all of them had that - just most of them).

Shell, of course, has various a car, truck, tractor (trailer), and motorcycle symbol on the front label, but no certification.

My take away is if you use a non certified oil and you have a problem, there is no recourse. Has anyone ever had a mfr reimburse them for an oil failure? If you use a certified mc oil and you have a lubrication/clutch failure you will be able to get reimbursement after spending about 10 times the award in legal fees over a 10 year period. Most of our bikes will succumb to deferred maintenance and those few that have clutch problems keep guys like @Igofar and @aniwack in groceries. As I see it, its a win win situation.

Silly ole me, I continue to use GN4 and don't even think about it. Life is too short.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My take away is if you use a non certified oil and you have a problem, there is no recourse. Has anyone ever had a mfr reimburse them for an oil failure? If you use a certified mc oil and you have a lubrication/clutch failure you will be able to get reimbursement after spending about 10 times the award in legal fees over a 10 year period.
And the difference is???

It looks like you have no recourse, whichever path you take.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
And the difference is???
It looks like you have no recourse, whichever path you take.Chris
Exactly.

My wife and I joined Lifetime Fitness as charter members (before they opened the local franchise). We were told as charter members that we would never have an increase in membership fees. I wrote that on the contract as a note to me at the bottom and we signed up. A year later they increased the fees. Second year they increased the fees. I found our salesman who sold us the membership (he was still working there) and asked him about that. "Oh, the Sales Manager told us to tell everyone that," he said. I talked to a friend who is a lawyer. He said I could sue and would probably win, it was a good case. The suit would cost us a few thousand bucks and we would probably get a judgement of $10 or $20 a month off the dues. That is indeed a recourse. Like many other things in life, not necessarily a good one.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I wrote that on the contract as a note
Caveat emptor, on the internet, pictures or it didn't happen. IRL, Salesman, write it down or it's a lie. You probably don't need an attorney to call the AG. That might get you some credit or free perks, but I'll guess you'll keep paying it and use the service.

Last time I switched cell service it included $900.00 in phone upgrade credits and $1800.00 in bill credit, I swapped 4 out of 6 phones. they gave me 2 phone credits @ $50.00 a month. I called every month and every month they said wait a bill cycle. After 6 months I demanded the credit (whatever that means) and got the $1800.00 all at once (no bill for 5 months). Now at the 20 month mark of a 24 month contract and the still they owe me $1800.00 for the 2 other phones. the last time we talked they said I called and didn't want the credit. WOW!! Turns out the third party store apparently canceled it because they were tired of me asking where it is. In 4 months I will switch providers and then set the arbitration in motion to get my $1800.00, I dare not do it while they control my phones. This will be interesting.

Top Bottom