Shim measurements

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just finished measuring valve clearance and removing shims for measurement. 6 of the exhaust valves need reshimmed 0.001 and 2 need 0.002.PXL_20210927_190709131.jpg
Do my shim measurements look correct. Some still had markings but most did not.PXL_20210928_003136857~2.jpg
@Igofar

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I find it more useful to put the clearance value and shim size on the same page next to each other, makes it easier to visualize. No need to convert the shim size to inches, just remember every shim size is equal to 0.001" and do the adjustment on the page with the before/after shim sizes listed.

For example:

shim.JPG

looking at that I can decide at a glance if I want to leave it at .007 or adjust it one step to 1.90 to put it in the center of the range. If I happen to have another 1.90 shim available as a spare or from another cylinder then for sure I'll adjust it, otherwise I may just leave it where it is because its still in spec. Seeing all the new sizes needed on the page helps visualize where you can swap shims around rather than buy new ones using circles and arrows to show what's being swapped where.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I find it more useful to put the clearance value and shim size on the same page next to each other, makes it easier to visualize. No need to convert the shim size to inches, just remember every shim size is equal to 0.001" and do the adjustment on the page with the before/after shim sizes listed.

For example:

shim.JPG

looking at that I can decide at a glance if I want to leave it at .007 or adjust it one step to 1.90 to put it in the center of the range. If I happen to have another 1.90 shim available as a spare or from another cylinder then for sure I'll adjust it, otherwise I may just leave it where it is because its still in spec. Seeing all the new sizes needed on the page helps visualize where you can swap shims around rather than buy new ones using circles and arrows to show what's being swapped where.
Thanks. I haven't messed with shims before so I wanted to know what I have on each valve and their standard equivalent. I will keep a record going forward so that next valve check I will know what shims I will need. I swapped where I could on the exhaust side but that only took care of 2 valves. I do want to reshim the intakes to midrange though. I recorded the swaps/changes on the lower section of the page. It's just not part of the picture as I still need to stop by the STealer tomorrow to swap with them for what I need.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you cannot get it spot on mid range, consider having a gap that is on the larger side of the tolerance range than smaller. The gap generally reduces with wear.
The actual shim sizes go up in steps of 0.025 mm and tend not to wear out.
a 182 shim will be 1.825mm
a 188 shim will be 1.875mm

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The actual shim sizes go up in steps of 0.025 mm and tend not to wear out.
a 182 shim will be 1.825mm
a 188 shim will be 1.875mm
just a trivia comment on the "in-between" shim sizing.

I always found it odd that the shim sizes ending in '8' were properly rounded up, but the ones ending in '2' were incorrectly rounded down.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
'cos 3 looks very much like 8 when you've got a used shim covered in oil :)
Aha. Never thought of that...

And once again I’ll remind folks that there’s no need for a shim calculator. Measure in thousandths of an inch (.001” = .0254mm), ID the current shim size and look at the shim list for the right size to move the clearance to what you want (one increment for each .001” desired). A sure fire method that won’t leave you questioning your math ability.

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
@Igofar

Thanks for your endorsement above, Larry. Appreciated. As we both suspect (or have actual knowledge…?), this is the way most shops will do a valve clearance adjustment (shim-under-bucket). There may be the rare occurrence where, for example, one shim size thinner for an exhaust valve may not quite register the change when trying to slip the one-thousandth larger feeler gauge in, post-R&R. But you did change it, so make a note for the next time you’re in there. Or…. If you’re anal retentive like me, juST pull the cam followers again and go one shim increment thinner. FWIW YMMV

John

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I stopped by the STealer to see if they would swap one for one and they no longer will. I made a second stop at a local non-STealer. Great conversation with the owner for an hour. He did not immediately agree to swap but after we had been chatting for a few minutes he takes me back to his shim kit and swapped me out. So, if your in the area check out GIXXER TECH, the one man ran shop that's not a STealer.

Top Bottom