Shop Fan?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm looking at shop fans for the garage, changing tires and working on bikes with a garage that faces West is a tough thing to do in the July-August Texas heat.

I don't have a lot of space in the garage so a huge floor fan, while great, would be to hard to stow away and probably too expensive.

I've seen some sites have fans you can mount on the ceiling but are vertical fans but how big is big enough? 12"/18"/24" or larger.. or would 2 or 3 12 inch fans on the ceiling be better than one 36 inch fan.

Right now I have a fan I found in a dumpster, yeah yeah... I was digging in the trash... lost my sense of humor and someone said to go look there.. I found the fan.. anyway, it's okay... but it's a 16" plastic fan that is on it's last legs..

Anyway, with all the tires I've been doing and help with member's bikes I think it would be nice if they, and me, were more comfortable..

TIA.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Joe, I found an 'industrial grade' round 3 blade fan with a stand, maybe 16". When it's really hot, a stream of air right on where I'm working helps. Helps. In our part of the world it's hot in July and August. You can't use swamp coolers, can you?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, I found an 'industrial grade' round 3 blade fan with a stand, maybe 16". When it's really hot, a stream of air right on where I'm working helps. Helps. In our part of the world it's hot in July and August. You can't use swamp coolers, can you?
Ah.. never heard of a swamp cooler... the plastic fan I have works but I'm sure the industrial grade ones will flow more air as you pretty much have to be right in front of mine for it to help. I'd like a ceiling mound that I can pivot left / right and maybe angle down as well.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay... swamp cooler, googled it.. we had one of those when I was a kid... I don't have any room for something like that.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I use a 20" floor fan... I like it because it can be moved around to put the wind where you are working... even into the driveway if you need it there... or into the house if you have to blow out some smoke... :)

When Sam's or Costco has them the price isn't bad...

I have 2 of the 24" fans from Home Depot, the kind that sit on the ground and have rollers on one end. Keep one in my garage here in Houston and one in my garage at Lake Livingston. They push quite a bit of air and are on anytime I'm in the garage in the summer. They were around a $100 + or - and well worth it to me. Always have it blowing on me while tire changing and when I get back from a ride I turn it on the bike for a quick cool down so I can get the dust cover back on.

Spike

SpikeST
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Mellow - I've got a Swamp Cooler I'm tryiong to unload... We converted to Central Air a couple of years back....

It's a roof mount, fairly easy to install, would cool your entire garage area... your's for the asking... (And shipping, of course)

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I've got a blower from an old furnace. Doesn't take up too much space and moves a lot of air. It sits on casters for mobility. If you can find one of these and put it on casters to move it around, you'd probably be in good shape.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have two of the ceiling light fixture fans in my garage, one in the center and one close to the tire machine, although not an a/c unit by any means they do help move some air. Got one from a friend that was replacing his (free) the other one we had in the house and Pam wanted one with a remote, so the old one went to the garage. Both have 3 speeds and are reversable if the need arises. :biker:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow - I've got a Swamp Cooler I'm tryiong to unload... We converted to Central Air a couple of years back....

It's a roof mount, fairly easy to install, would cool your entire garage area... your's for the asking... (And shipping, of course)
Very nice offer thanks... My master bedroom is on top of my garage so I doubt that would work out and shipping would probably kill the deal anyway.. LOL

The cooler we had when I was a kid was the size of an oven, I never really considered those as an option.

The fan approach should work just fine I just need more flow I think, thanks again for the offer.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I just checked the weather for Dallas, dew point is 63? Swamp coolers work up to about 55?, and no further. I'm thinking you have too much humdidity for a swamp cooler.

They make 'shop grade' swamp coolers, that really work. Roll around, they'll go where you need them.

You ever consider just tying a block of ice on your head? I'm just saying....

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Before I broke down and put a window unit in the garage (yeah, I know, I'm a wimp), I used a fan that came our of an old airconditioner in a wood box that I built for it. Its a big squirrel cage. I hung it from the ceiling and made some plywood shutters to direct the air around.

The fan is intended to be used against some resistance, however, so if you do this, you need to restrict the air flow somehow. I put a couple of filters over a reduced hole. It took dust out of the air as well as moving it around.

If you're interested in digging in trash cans, I figure a call to an AC company for a used fan would be a step up. ;)

I stand corrected. The Home Depot fans I have are closer to 30" dia. instead of 24" and I do have a ceiling fan in each garage which helps also. These can be rolled around and used in different places also, like a deck, driveway etc. hint hint.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
What Jack said is true. A squirrel cage blower is a big bang for the buck. They're small in size and blow like......okay I won't use the euphemism.

I have also seen the wall mounted oscillating that are nice. Expensive but nice. I think you can turn off the osc feature. That would also allow it to not be in the way on the floor.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Oscillating-Wall-Mount-Fan-Diameter/dp/B001Q91KB2/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251941672&sr=1-30"]Amazon Wall mounted osc fan

Top Bottom