Side stand springs

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Firstly, apologies for the silly question....... ;)

I took my side stand off a few days ago for cleaning/regreasing, and now I go back to fitting it I cannot remember if the little spring goes inside the bigger spring or next to it?

Could someone have a quick look at theirs and confirm please, so I can commence the titanic struggle I will no doubt have getting them back on.

Thanks for your help

Graham

OP
OP
gbrand42
Bike
2013 ST1300A
Thank you both :thumb: I'm thinking of fitting the springs before replacing the pivot bolt so I have better leverage with the whole stand. Or this could be a stupid idea. I'll report my findings :)

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I successfully used this technique to mount a centerstand to my BMW f650 years ago.
It was tedious, but nearly painless.
It was not a quick job, but rather simple when you extend the springs in such a manner.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's all in the details. For some very stout springs, it is majorly difficult to fit said nickles (I use washers - more varied sizes and cheaper) between the coils of the spring (try not to pinch yourself while bending the spring to insert spacers). Too, this tends to curve the spring away from the insertion side. Solution(?) put the spacers all the way around the spring - NO - some of those invariably will get in the way of hooking the spring over its assigned fastening point.

My best solution has been to try an automotive brake spring tool (thank you, @Larry Fine), then pliers (a nod to @SupraSabre) and even a combination of washers and one of the mentioned tools. In the end, the absolute best aid is muttered incantations and applied force to stretch the spring.

You might also try a trunk monkey.:rofl1:

Top Bottom