Simply airbox entrance modification

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Simple airbox entrance modification

Inspecting the K&N filter revealed large insects (dragonflies) in the filter area. While the filter did its job, I did notice the front air scoop has no pre-filter to prevent entrance of said huge bugs. While shopping at Lowe's, I came upon an aluminum gutter strainer that could be easily rolled to fit in the dual intake holes. Just bend the points over so they don't poke into the rubber intake tube and make sure the stacks don't stick up higher than the air filter itself. Normal debris and smaller insects pass still pass through but I have had no perfomance or mileage decrease with this particular farkle. And for those who store the bike for long periods of time, it might prevent mice from making a home, if that is possible.

Attachments

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Never saw anything THAT big while cleaning the K&N. However what I did notice when I first got the controversial K&N is this.
It was slightly shorter , (not as tall) as the stock unit, making sealing to the base a bit sketchy to me. I overcame this with four small squares of 3/16' grey foam. the kind with the
peal off tape and adhesive on it. Placed so the tabs on the top lid seat squarely onto the foam, thus keeping correct pressure on the element to the base.
I know this works because the foam squares have indentations in the foam squares the next time I was in there. A thin layer of naval jelly keeps the seal perfect as well.
You may have something for those storing bikes over winter. ....they hate meeses to peeeces !

OP
OP
nikonhonda
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Simple airbox entrance modification

Fortunet 1, if the K&N is a little shorter that would explain why I found bits of sand on the seal and in the clean area of the airbox.

Top Bottom