Sirius/Autocom install questions

I have a major farkling session coming up as soon as I receive all the pieces...
I'm going to install -
- Autocom intercom with Kenwood TK3101 transceiver
- Quartet Harness
- Honda powerplug (ordered it, then discovered better alternatives)
- Sirius radio on a ram-hybred mount

Done alot of reading but still have a couple of questions...

1. For the Sirius radio, I'm using the RAM mount that attaches to one of the reservoir clamp. Will probably put it on the left side. I am planning on building a small metal plate that screws into the back of the radio mount that goes up and bends to a horizontal surface for the sat antenna to sit on - with a nice short wire. For power, I was thinking of using the power plug (attached to the quartet harness) and was going to try to locate it on the left side by the pocket, that way when I stop I can pull the radio, with the attached antenna... pull the power plug, and it's ready to stow. But now I'm reading some posts that say it may be difficult mounting the power plug on the left side. Comments? Better ideas?

2. The intercom and radio will go in the obvious place under the pillion. I got the special power cable to run power from the intercom to the Kenwood transceiver, so all I'll need to do back there is get switched power to the intercom. The question is, since I don't anticipate any more power needs back there, where would be the best place to tap power..without going thru the trouble of buying a fuse block/relay. Should I use some sort of special splice hardware to do this?

Jeez.. with the other bikes I've owned just a couple pieces of shiny chrome and I was happy... this whole farkling thing reminds me of a sign I saw hanging in a tattoo parlor once - "Welcome to your next obsession".

Thanks for any help
Kerry

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I'm not sure why so many are mounting their satellite radio antenna in plain view. I have mine mounted behind the front fairing plastic on a small sheet metal bracket adjacent to the electric windshield track. It makes for a much cleaner installation and plenty of room to neatly bundle the excess cable.

Ray

OP
OP
Flyboy909
Ray.. what I'm thinking of doing with a little piece of sheet metal for the antenna would be pretty much the same thing you did - only mine would be hanging off the back side of the radio...kind of integrated with the radio. I'm going to try shortening the antenna wire, and failing that I'll pick up one of those 2 footers. I'm thinking it might make for a clean setup with one less wire to run out from the radio.

Btw, is yours mounted on the left or right? Power from the plug?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the antenna mounted. When I use the satellite radio, I use the suction cup mount on the tank. It fits between the bars with no interence. The best part is it is completely removed when not being used.

Ray

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'm not sure why so many are mounting their satellite radio antenna in plain view.
In my case, it was just convenient. I had to bring lines for power and audio to the back of the bike anyway, so adding the antenna to the bundle wasn't a big deal. The excess cable is tied to the frame in the tail section.

When I get around to a top box, they'll probably go under the front fairing.

--Mark

Top Bottom