Sizing an Air Bag Vest - Helite Turtle 2

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've pretty much decided on buying a Helite Turtle 2 air bag vest. Revzilla and Helite publish the same sizing chart. Obviously, one should measure your height like a doctor - barefoot, but are the other measurements - chest, waist, hips, etc. of one in street clothes or full riding gear?

What do folks who have bought the Helite T-2 vest say?

This is the sizing chart (copied from Revzilla, but numbers are the same on Helite's website.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.39.17 PM.png
Yes, I know these things are in short supply (esp the HiViz). But I'm hopeful.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
It should fit mildly snug, but not tight over your jacket (and full riding gear). There are also extension pieces if needed to give you another inch or 2 of breathing room (that clip to the existing plastic clips assuming Helite closes like any other vest). Mine is not a Helite (it’s a Hit-Air) but I would assume the same standards apply. If I’m wearIng a jacket (jeans or textile), it fits more snug so the extender is helpful (the lower one). If I’m wearing the Bohn armored shirt, then it fits a bit more loosely/ comfortable but not too loose and in general, I don’t need the extender.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Have you considered the KLIM Ai-1 airbag vest. I have one and love it. It is very comfortable and the lanyard free system is great. I had a vest with a lanyard before and hated it. The KLIM is reasonably priced at $399.00 with a 12.00 per month fee for the control device or you can buy it outright and the price would be about the same as the Helite Turtle 2 which is around 699.00 I believe. I like the fact that it fits under your jacket. There is also good data to indicate the automated system deploys faster and will function even if you happen to stay with the bike if you crash, unlike the lanyard system. I've had mine for almost two years now and have had no issues with it at all. I don't want to start a whole new thread about pros and cons of each type of system. I'm happy with with my KLIM vest though.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'm 6'1" and ~175lbs and large is the right size for me. It fits over my lighter and heavier jackets fine so there is some flexibility and I don't think the sizing is as critical as a pair or pants for a proper fit. You can return it to RZ if you choose wrong. You can also contact the guys who sell it - they are super-helpful.
It feels a little heavy on long rides which can give me a some pain in the traps but I don't regret the purchase.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Peter -

I have the T-2, size XL. The sizing chart entries for the XL are good, except that my actual chest size is 42 - 43. My T-2 is a snug fit over my full textile 1st Gear jacket so, I would expand the chest sizing to 43 for the XL. The other chart entries for the XL are ok.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you considered the KLIM Ai-1 airbag vest. I have one and love it. It is very comfortable and the lanyard free system is great. I had a vest with a lanyard before and hated it.
Yes, I considered it but too many aspects to this vest that bother me. 1. The Klim website says nothing about repacking the vest after deployment. I don't like this lack of full disclosure. I had to go to other reviews to get a better description of the device than Klim provides. 2. I don't like subscription services, so the price is $400 for the vest and another $400 for the controller (I'll buy you a cup of coffee w/ the change). 3. I don't like them gathering personal data from me and using it for any purpose whatsoever without full disclosure to me how they are using it AND paying me for that data.* Fat chance of that. 4. I have to download their app onto my phone? What happens if I forget my phone at home? How about if the battery goes out? (yes, I have shut it off on occasion at 10% power). 4. I believe in KISS - keep it simple. AI is not simple. A lanyard is. 5. The vest has a battery that is good for 20 hours. One more battery to keep charged. 6. I learned to get used to being tethered to my bike for my Warm n Safe jacket. Helite's tether fits right in. 7. It's not waterproof? I've been in at least one frog choker that soaked me.

Those are MY personal objections - and I know I'm idiosyncratic at best, strange/weird/nuts at worst.

*Of course everyone snatches my data when I use my phone and 'pewter. But I minimize that as much as possible. Paying for the privilege and giving them my info is a step too far.
I am NOT worried about the insignificant fact that when an offensive EMP blankets the USA Klim's vests will stop functioning mid ride, while Hit-Air and Helite riders will carry on in blissful ignorance, fully protected.:rofl1:

Peter -
I have the T-2, size XL. The sizing chart entries for the XL are good, except that my actual chest size is 42 - 43. My T-2 is a snug fit over my full textile 1st Gear jacket so, I would expand the chest sizing to 43 for the XL. The other chart entries for the XL are ok.
Ray, If you are going to Uncle Phil's Der Dutchman breakfast, and wear your vest, I'd like to try it on for size. My chest is 44 around the outside of my Aerostitch jacket - hips about the same with ATGATT. Hope to see you there.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I
Yes, I considered it but too many aspects to this vest that bother me. 1. The Klim website says nothing about repacking the vest after deployment. I don't like this lack of full disclosure. I had to go to other reviews to get a better description of the device than Klim provides. 2. I don't like subscription services, so the price is $400 for the vest and another $400 for the controller (I'll buy you a cup of coffee w/ the change). 3. I don't like them gathering personal data from me and using it for any purpose whatsoever without full disclosure to me how they are using it AND paying me for that data.* Fat chance of that. 4. I have to download their app onto my phone? What happens if I forget my phone at home? How about if the battery goes out? (yes, I have shut it off on occasion at 10% power). 4. I believe in KISS - keep it simple. AI is not simple. A lanyard is. 5. The vest has a battery that is good for 20 hours. One more battery to keep charged. 6. I learned to get used to being tethered to my bike for my Warm n Safe jacket. Helite's tether fits right in. 7. It's not waterproof? I've been in at least one frog choker that soaked me.

Those are MY personal objections - and I know I'm idiosyncratic at best, strange/weird/nuts at worst.

*Of course everyone snatches my data when I use my phone and 'pewter. But I minimize that as much as possible. Paying for the privilege and giving them my info is a step too far.
I am NOT worried about the insignificant fact that when an offensive EMP blankets the USA Klim's vests will stop functioning mid ride, while Hit-Air and Helite riders will carry on in blissful ignorance, fully protected.:rofl1:

Ray, If you are going to Uncle Phil's Der Dutchman breakfast, and wear your vest, I'd like to try it on for size. My chest is 44 around the outside of my Aerostitch jacket - hips about the same with ATGATT. Hope to see you there.
I understand what you are saying but I think you have some mis-information. The vest works without the cell phone, you don't have to have your phone to use it. You can repack the airbag yourself if it gets deployed. They also have an air inflator included with the vest so you can inflate it yourself with air to inspect it. It is quite easy to repack yourself. Klim recommends sending it in after three deployments for inspection. The data Klim collects is captured in the In and Motion control and this is movement and or deployment information and this is used to refine the deployment algorithms in the system. They don't take any personal info off your phone. Locations etc. can be blocked if you want. The battery will stay charged for 25 hours. I have ridden 3 days with mine without a recharge. The system goes to sleep if you stop between rides to conserve power and wakes up when it is moved. I found my tethered airbag to be very annoying, forgetting to disconnect it when getting of for fuel etc. and also forgetting to reconnect after stops for gas or other things. It does little good to have an airbag with a disconnected tether. Also the In and Motion control has been around for a long time in Europe and is well perfected. The autonomous systems will deploy faster and under conditions that the tethered systems just won't function. If you are hit or fall and stay close to the bike the tethered systems won't deploy and this has happened. If you allow the system alert function it can even call for help in a crash situation. The fact of the more reliable deployment under all conditions, a faster deployment, fitting well under your jacket with a more ventilated design and not having to screw with the tether getting on and off and forgetting to attach it, I found the Klim to be far less intrusive while riding than the tethered airbag. I like the fact that the system self diagnoses and gets updated as the system functions are improved. For me it works well. But to each their own.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #

I will be at Der Dutchman wearing the vest (except for buffet time). You are certainly welcome to try on the vest and also sit tethered on my ST1100. See you in 8 days.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Post Script: I ordered a Large Long after trying a friends over my riding gear. Revzilla was outstanding as usual, I received it on a Sunday, 3 days after ordering it. And, I got to use my Revzilla Bux from my last tire purchase. If nothing else, its an impressive piece of clothing - just like my impression after I bought a used Racecrafter.

YMMV

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I feel kind of stupid mentioning this, but if you feel like it hangs on your shoulders causing any pain, try tightening up the buckles so it can't weight down your shoulder area as much. I finally did this yesterday after owning mine for a few years and it was noticeable. I'm kinda skinny so the "factory" setting was, I think, not snug enough.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
if you feel like it hangs on your shoulders causing any pain, try tightening up the buckles so it can't weight down your shoulder area as much. I finally did this yesterday after owning mine for a few years and it was noticeable. I'm kinda skinny so the "factory" setting was, I think, not snug enough.
I did not experience that, but on occasion, it seemed like the vest was limiting my head movement backward. In retrospect, I think the Turtle 2 was sitting on top of the collar of my 'Stitch jacket. Next time I will pay attention to this after I put on the vest, and make sure it is flat on my shoulders and the jacket's collar overlaps the vest. My friend's jacket has no collar like an Aerostitch, and he did not feel that constraint. I feel no such restriction without the vest, so it must be bunched up collar fabric.

Top Bottom