SMC Override - Test - TempFix

Bike
ST1300
I have an '04 ST13 that I bought one year ago with only 4500miles on it, I now have about 18,000 on it. The bike had considerable road salt induced rust on the left side (only) from sitting dirty for a number of years, Last year I gave it a complete tupperware removed detailing and fluid freshing up. This spring it got the full maintanence service treatment at 15,000.

After the Lyle rally back in May (heavy rain, lots of thick muddy dirt roads) I noticed he rear brake was starting to drag and grind. I replaced all brake pads and cleaned all the calipers...still draging and getting worse, checked and cleaned the needle bearing, next was a full bleed/flush which I also did when I first bought the bike. No better, hot weather set in and the drag was getting really bad. Pulled apart the SMC - pretty clear this was the problem - did a super clean job and reasembled it, worked OK for about 10 miles ;)

I have a trip planned to the east coast and can't get the part in time to pull it all together ...this issue is why I did not ride to Curt's service and came in a cage...which really bummed me out to not have my ST there - My "other" bike an '02 V-Strom did not make it home after the MN1000 due to fractured wheels, but no crash! Anyway in light of my schdule I had to come up with both a test to confirm that a replacement SMC would take care of my problem and also if possible allow me make the NE Lyle rally July 14th in Plymouth, MA.

I went shopping for some hard rubber and found a 3x3 Y shaped boat trailer stop...cut it up with a chop saw and was able to make a perfect shim to disable the SMC...just got back from a long hot test ride...good to go! I can now confidently order a new SMC to fix the bike, in the mean time feel comfortable heading on a trip with the shim in place. I have attached pics for anybody that might be interested. After I get my part I am willing to send this "shim" out for people to use as a SMC test "tool".

Attachments

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Now that is thinking outside the box!! Great way to come up with a fix to go ride! Thank you for sharing!! Have a great trip!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I dont know about a test tool, but I bet those things will be selling out of every boat shop. Would bea nice thing to have just in case. Great job!

Bike
2006 ST1300
That IS great thinking. Shame you have to resort to that.

HONDA STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Great idea. Inquiring minds want to know. What is the exact dimension from the bottom of the Y yoke to the base of it? And just to make sure, ...the over-ride position is all the open and decompressed?

And just a note for those reading this, if there is not enough grease on the retaining bolt pin bearings, that can also make the SMC malfunction. That would be a much easier fix, if it is that.
Ron

OP
OP
Unplugged
Bike
ST1300
Making of a SMC Block.

The 3"x3" Y-Stop is a "SMITH" Part Numnber 29551

The key tool in my opinion is a power ?chop saw? ? this makes it easy to keep things square, be warned chopping a rubber block makes a BIG mess and the last couple of cuts get a little tricky to hold?drop the saw VERY slow as to not ?catch? and have your block fly across the room. I used a 60 tooth combination blade, but if I would have had a finer (80+ tooth) paneling blade I would have used it.

I started out by making sure I had the SMC all the way back. I rolled the bike backwards and grabbed front brake hard ? I did this a few times, then just to be sure I used a piece of wood to carefully pry against the fork slider to force the SMC back (down & away from the fork slider) to its mechanical limit.

Through trial and error I made a stiff cardboard template that filled it the entire area between the fork slider and the SMC bracket.

I started by using a 3? x 3? hard rubber Y-stop from a boat trailer, the primary angle was near perfect. I slide the cardboard template up and down the Y-Stop until I had the least cutting. You can only use one ?leg? of the Y-stop as the overlap shortens the other ?leg? ? however, its 3? wide so you will be able to cut your block in half and will have two...the 1 ?? width works great. I was a little concerned about the ?? Y-block mounting hole, but it doesn?t come into play ? except you must be careful during cutting to not hook the mounting hole with the saw.

My finished product was ?perfect? ? tight enough that I had to use a light hammer to force it in the space between the fork slider and the SMC bracket. I used two wire ties to hold the block in place; the top one was a thicker one and the lower one a normal 8? tie. I just happened to have a thick heavy wire tie, I think as long as you have two ties and a good tight fit you will be fine.

I have a detail drawing of the block and a rough sketch of the way I laid it out on the Y-bock attached as .pdf?s. I rode over a thousand miles with the block in place and it worked great. My new SMC is now on the bike, however I plan to carry this block and a couple wire ties in under the seat from now on.

Best regards
Jim

Attachments

Top Bottom