So I bought a NO-MAR tire changer... for the Darkside...

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Hi All - With all this dicussion of mounting a C/T on my ST, I thought I'd just get a tire changer at home. I know some dealers / shops won't touch mounting a car tire to a bike rim, and instead of the hassle of running around finding a shop that would help me, I'd just cut that idea out. Plus, at 50 bucks a tire at a local Honda dealer to have it mounted, I figured I'd have the tire changer paid for in no time....

There has been some great discussion on the Darkside subject in this forum... Lot's of educated folks here. That's what I love about ST-Owners... In IL, there are no motorcycle inspections here (yet...) I appreciate what I have read on the subject, and the people that have given the information out... :)

With that being said.... Holy crap! Is that 205/50-17 a huge tire! Will that thing fit??? :duck:

Last edited:

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Ron, when I pulled into my driveway and the UPS man had left the Hankook on my porch, I thought -oh, oh.did I order a tire for my F150 by mistake? It is biggggggg! If you need a hand wrestling it on, let me know.

Greg

Bike
2006 ST1300
The Hankook is RUGGED to mount. I would rather pay a cage tire shop $10 to mount it. Fortunately I have access to the shop I used to work at, and the owner lets me mount my own tires with the cage tire changer. I leave him $10 just to say thanks every time I change the tire. But any cage tire shop around here would mount it for $10...I just like doing it myself.

I do need to get a tire changer for the STs front tire, and the Ninja's tires.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The no mar didn't work well on the couple I've done, I ended up spooning them on. The no mar will help break the bead and deal w/mc tires.

OP
OP
skidlid1300

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Ron, when I pulled into my driveway and the UPS man had left the Hankook on my porch, I thought -oh, oh.did I order a tire for my F150 by mistake? It is biggggggg! If you need a hand wrestling it on, let me know. Greg
Thanks Greg... I appreciate the offer... I'll keep it in mind... :)

The no mar didn't work well on the couple I've done, I ended up spooning them on. The no mar will help break the bead and deal w/mc tires.
Did you use the No-Mar spoons? I'll have to make a few wood blocks to help hold the bead, and install the new tire...

You've done spent a good wad on the changer. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these T45AC
Good Lord! That iron is for a tractor tire! I'll end up having a pile alumium schrapnel on the floor of my garage!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No, I feel the no mar spoons are too thick. I have 3 motion pro spoons, 18" I believe.

OP
OP
skidlid1300

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Well, I got the tire changer assembled in my garage. I ordered their portable unit that attaches to a reciever hitch on my truck... We'll see how it goes getting that huge tire on my rim... I just may need "Dinkie's Spear" that he sent me a link for if I needed it... :)

Top Bottom