So I'm going there too....Hankook tire on the way to me.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I am at, past, the end of my BT023 rear tire. 7000 miles or so with the last 1000 miles being not such a fun tire. I now have the treads showing in the center of tire with outsides cupping.
I have been reading on the darkside stuff and just ordered a Hankook K110 205/50r17 from tirerack for $104.29 to my door Tuesday.
With the milage reports, I figure I'll ride it for at least a couple of thousand miles to see if I like it and if not just remove it and send to another member that may want to try it out. This will also be my first dismount and mount with my new HF changer and Mojo lever and blocks.
I will post pics and any info I can.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Is the reason for the Hankook due to dimensions of the tire or what? I've not read all the posts so don't know the answer. I've just gotten a Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 205/50/17 for my FJR and will have to use a modified brake caliper brace (thinner) to allow the tire to work. It has been a reported very good darkside tire on the FJR site. I've got some new PR2s on my ST but will be interested in your evaluation of the CT on your ST. Where I live the chip seal eats tires so my mileage has gone to the suckage category lately and tired of spending approx. $1000/yr on tires for two bikes.

JDP

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds good to me! My BT-023 lasted 5000 miles. I will be looking to go this way also. Keep us posted.

:usflag1:

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Hankook seems to be one that has been used before and also one of the cheapest. I did see a Dunlop , I think a Dunlop, that was a 205/50/17 that boast of being more rounded on the edges. (Please see Edit)
This will be a big FIRST on several levels and pictures will be coming soon, this week I hope........just hope it's not pics of a low side!!
:0

Edit: I was all wrong about the other tire I looked at. Not Dunlop.
It is a MICHELIN: Primacy HP for $231 each that is on the Tire Kingdom web site. Not sure of the overall width, but worth a look if this works out.
http://tirekingdom.com/Tire-Detail/MICHELIN/Primacy-HP/5922

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Please do keep us informed on the Hanooks. When I looked them up, they gave me the impression they were a stiffer sidewall, so interested in your "turn in" efforts and what pressures you run (I assume about 30). I'm installing a Michelin Exalto A/S, which has a rounder profile, plus I have tested a bike with this tire and it was pretty good. I was able to compare to another FJR that had a different tire, also not bad, but the Michelin was better IMHO.
Not sure what the Michelin Primacy really is, again it says a more rounded profile, but I would not want a run flat type (very stiff = high turn-in effort).

Should we keep this on the one Dark Side thread??

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
For further up dates, please see the "Dark Side Tire" thread posted by iride. We will try to combine our reviews there. Thanks.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
RaYzerman, I got my Michelin for $152 delivered from onlinetires.com. I haven't had an answer to the reason for the Hankook tire except for cost. I was guessing that maybe even though the same "size" at 205/50/17 that it has a different width i.e. narrower than most. I found on the FJR site that there are differences in widths. Oh and BTW, that would have to be inflated width which I guess wouldn't be able to determined until actually mounted and inflated. I have a new set of PR2s on my ST now and waiting to mount my car tire on the FJR when I can find a place to get it done.

JDP

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Just ordered my Hankook. Will be here by Saturday...........now, any tips on mounting it (that's "install it" to those who's mind may have gone a different direction)? I've never mounted a m/c tire excluding the old knobby dirt bike tire way back when. I'd hate to screw up my rim.

Top Bottom