Some musings from a recently completed 40A alternator upgrade...

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Hi all. I just completed the upgrade of the alternator on my ’93 ST with 65K miles and wanted to share some experiences/lessons learned. First off, as others have said before me THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all who have documented this procedure with text, videos, etc. and to John Oosterhaus for the "helpline" when I got stuck a few times.

I read all of the notes and watched the videos many times before starting in. Overall the process went very well, but there were a few times I was “challenged” by my ST and I would say this is not an undertaking for anyone who does not have a good set of metric tools and a comfortable and well lit place to work. I spent probably 20 hours overall but I did clean the heck out of every part as I took things apart. I found the CRC Professional Grade Parts Cleaner (blue spray can) worked best for cleaning pretty much everything.

This is the first time my 30 year old bike has been disassembled at anywhere near this level so I was quite concerned about encountering rusted or stuck fasteners. Fortunately, everything came apart OK but I was careful to use only 6 point sockets on every bolt. The biggest area of concern were the 3 socket head bolts that hold the old stator to the drive case, since I could not get a perfectly straight angle on 2 of the 3. I was really concerned about stripping these, so I did spray them with Aero Kroil (if you have not used this stuff before…. It is FANTASTIC for loosening stuck/rusted bolts!! Not cheap, but the stuff just WORKS).

My first “hang up” was when I installed the newly built drive mechanism (using the parts from the old one and a new base plate). The two gears were perfectly aligned with the Lewis Pin fully inserted, but when I inserted the new drive into the engine the base plate would not meet up with the engine housing… I had about 1/8” gap. I was pretty confident that the gears were meshing fine. With encouragement/guidance from John O and the gentleman who had just done this (and sent me the upgrade kit) I carefully snugged the new baseplate the rest of the way into the engine using my smallest ¼” drive socket to ensure I didn’t strip anything.

My second “hang up” was re-installing the swing arm. I read all the instructions and notes available, but when it came time to re-install the swing arm (and drive shaft) I figured I would have to hold the drive shaft U-joint onto the transmission spline or else it would fall out. Well, the swing arm WILL NOT align into the two side holes on the frame with the drive shaft already installed in the transmission spline! It does not clear the right side of the frame by the smallest of margins. After messing with this for almost an hour (and cursing quite a bit!) I finally just let the drive shaft fall into the swing arm, installed the swing arm pins and then lo and behold I was able to get the U-joint splines onto the transmission rod with a little fiddling of the drive shaft from the rear of the swing arm! It also helps to have the bike in gear at this point so the transmission shaft does not rotate while you are trying to get the U joint aligned onto it.

Some points about the process as documented in the write up:

I never did touch the shifter bolt… (the notes from Mike Martin said he didn’t either..) and had no issues. I also do not think it’s necessary to remove the 2 bolts from the transmission housing since it seemed like my new alternator never got close to these using the technique of inserting the new alternator in the videos online. But I definitely DID have to bend the small bracket that held one of the rear brake line clamps up about 45 degrees to get the alternator to clear. That video was awesome, and I had the new alternator in within 3 minutes!

There are 3 hoses that need to be either extended or replaced with longer ones. The sizes were not mentioned in the notes but they are 1 X 3/16” inside diameter hose and 2 X 1/4” ID hoses. You will also need to purchase male-male adapters if you are using extensions as I did. I found an assortment pack of these that included 2 each of several sizes at my local AutoZone for $7.

For the fuse from the 12V alternator main to the battery, I wound up just soldering in an inline fuse holder with 10AWG wire from Amazon ($11 for a package of 6!) and used a 50A blade fuse (also Amazon, $5 for a pack of 10). Seemed much cleaner and cheaper than some of the other options I read about.

Finally, I also used this tear down to do some other basic maintenance like replacing the air, oil and fuel filters, rear brake pads, and the engine and rear drive oil (you are in there anyway… so why not!!).

In the end my ST is now running like new and I am getting a steady 14.48V at the battery from idle on up. She’s ready for another 30 years I hope!

Cheers!

Bike
2010 ST1300
According to my chart, 10 ga wire should see a 30 amp fuse, #8 goes to 40 amps, and #6 takes a 50 amp load. Clearly, your wire will never carry a load that large, but at the very least, I'd downsize it to 40. The 50 is not going to protect the alternator from overload, nor will it adequately protect the wire.

OP
OP
IndyRob

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Good point SMSW. Yes the fuseholders came with a 30A fuse. Seemed like most of the people here on the Forum were going with 40 or 50A fuses as part of their upgrades so I followed suit, but I agree with your data. I will swap out my 50A with a 30A fuse and keep an extra 40A one handy in the back pocket.

I have added a small digital voltmeter, a 12V cigarette lighter plug that I use for my Garmin GPS, and also added the AudioVox electronic cruise control, but those have all been on the bike for many years and my 28A alternator didn't seem to have any issue keeping up so clearly I am not pulling anywhere near 30A even.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Well done! I did my alternator a few years ago. Almost weekly I read on some of the FB ST sites where guys are asking for information when their 28 amp alternators fail ans what to do. It's amazing to me that guys rely so much on FB for information and never do just a little bit of research where they can find tons of ready info on the upgrade here and on the st-rider site. I always direct them here. I too want to thank everyone who has gone before and posted how-to information that they have done. I sure want to keep my ST running, as there's not a single bike out there that even tempts me a little to trade for.

Attachments

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Thanks for the wrap-up. I think people like to see how things turn out when big projects are tackled.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Congratulations, Rob! Nice report. Glad the tool kit worked well for you. You’ve joined a select group of STRiders. N.B. - you will probably soon contract an acute case of “electrical farkles fever.”

Also, great to make your e-quaintance…. a two digit STOC number member, and long-time/original ST1100 owner!

BeST, John

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Well done! I did my alternator a few years ago. Almost weekly I read on some of the FB ST sites where guys are asking for information when their 28 amp alternators fail ans what to do. It's amazing to me that guys rely so much on FB for information and never do just a little bit of research where they can find tons of ready info on the upgrade here and on the st-rider site. I always direct them here. I too want to thank everyone who has gone before and posted how-to information that they have done. I sure want to keep my ST running, as there's not a single bike out there that even tempts me a little to trade for.
It amazes me too!
The FB platform is the poorest one out there to help with troubleshooting, because it just gets lost, no continuity. They also don't believe you when you say the 28 amp alternator is a ticking time bomb. But hey FB is what it is. keep on directing them here.
Congratulations on your upgrade, and pleased that you won't succumb to temptation. ;) May you have many pleasurable miles and years with your ST.

Looks like I’m following closely behind y’all. Purchased my ‘93 ST1100 last fall. Small oil leak turned into a bigger job and had to take the alternator out to fix. Alternator appears to work well, but reading here it sounds like it is in my best interest to upgrade the alternator while everything else is apart. Can you ballpark the cost for the upgrade? I also see there is a tool that would make this job a lot easier. Any other words of advice to a novice that likes to get his hands dirty? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
IndyRob

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I bought an OEM Honda alternator and all Honda OEM parts (seals etc). Total cost was around $500 with all the seals, fuse holder, wire etc needed. You can get aftermarket alternators cheaper on FleaBay or Amazon, but I figured with my time investment to do this, I might as well get the real deal alternator from Honda. John Oosterhuis has a loaner kit that contains all the special parts/tools and lubes that you would need. I had great support from him and the guy who had just completed this too, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I did get "stuck" a few times, and documented this and the answers in my write ups. I have lots of pix of my tear down and "issue points" that may help.

I just did 240 miles today and sure is nice to see my voltmeter sit at 14.3V no matter what I am doing! I was the same... had a small oil leak and my original electrical issue was actually the voltage regulator, but if the oil is coming from the alternator, if you plan to keep the bike you might as well dive in and do the upgrade. Tons of info out there on this Forum for doing this....

Cheers!

Top Bottom