Sonic or hyperpro springs??

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
So I am going to get the springs done I think on my bike now that I got the binding issue fixed. I am wondering if anyone can tell me pros and cons. I recieved a PM beofre saying not to do the hyperpros but I have read some good posts on here for the hyperpros. I am about 310lbs and I usually ride locally with nothing or very little in the cases. I will be adding MCL risers so I sit more upright. I will occasionaly go on overnighters and have stuff in the cases but I do like to pack light. Anyone give me feedback on the 2? I should also note i am more into the touring and looking for a smoother ride vs being an all out insane hanler. I have been known to ride a liitle aggresively but I have mellowed out over the years.:cool:

I tried both and like the Hyperpro better because they seemed to ride a little smoother. But that's just me,I'm not as heavy as you.Haven't read much about suspension lately but back when I was looking there seemed to be more people that used Sonics.
What did you do your front end?

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #
I've tried both and like Hyperpro better. The Sonics were too stiff for me in the initial start range of compression. I ride 90% of the time two up with a topbox that is lightly loaded. On our trips we are fairly well loaded and the Hyperpros still work fine for us. Even fully loaded the sonics were to stiff initially. And yes I set the sag up the same on both.
It is really a personal thing IMHO: If you like a little softer ride= Hyperpro----If you like a more firm ride= Sonics.
Sonny

STOC #
I went with the Sonics after reading the Hyperpro springs were to soft for some.

Much better than stock.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I have only used the sonics 1.2. Also had, iirc, a 7wt belray oil in the front.

As many have mentioned it will be a personal thing, but I absolutely luved the sonics! Being stiffer the ride was much smoother (over bumps and the like), and the handling was a major improvement over stock.

Regards,

I'd go with Sonic's, as I put the Sonic 1.0's and 10wt oil in my DL 1000 (V Strom) a few months back and they are awesome. Don't see why they wouldn't be as good for the ST 1300 when properly selected with the right oii. Nicely firm with no harshness compared to stock and brake dive is much less. Honestly, the brake dive was the main reason I made the change, and I only wish I'd done it a lot sooner because of the dramatic improvement.

"The enemy of good is better".

I just installed the Sonic Springs with 10wt. You and I are in about the same weight range and the Sonics have worked well for me. Major improvement over the stock set of springs.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
does this upgrade positively effect tire wear? cupping etc...?
No, it does not; the tire problem does not lie in the springs.
This is a multipart problem.
Balancing the wheel often stops cupping, as does making sure that the tires are inflated to 42 PSIG on both ends it. If the tire is out of round, or not set well on the wheel, that could cause uneven tire wear, too. Either replacing the tire, or deflating, then reinflating to properly set it to the rim, sometimes works.
If the problem is that the forks move too quickly in either direction due to poor spring damping -which the stock ST does- replacing the fork dampers with a product such as the Race Tech Gold Valves is the way to go.
Lastly, some tires cup in spite of our best efforts. I remember that Bridgestone used to cup at about 7K miles. Not sure which, if any, cup now.
I'd bet that if you check you'd find some or all of those problems with your bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I went with Race Tech springs....did not do the valves or caps, just springs. As with Sonic, they are straight-rate and not progressives. i weigh a bit less than you (195-200) and the ride is a bit firmer, which I was looking for. And the brake dive is noticably less.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Sonic spring: $79.95
Race tech: $109.99
HyperPro: $169.95

You could go by price too...

Edit:
I forgot to mention I have the HyperPro front springs and rear shock/spring and *really* like what they did for my '01.

Bike
ST1300 '08
I have done the Sonic springs before on another bike and liked the results a great deal.. so I "get" that.. can one do the Sonic springs AND RaceTech gold valves??

no compatibility problem? I need to learn more about the valve business, don't really get that part yet. What do the gold valves replace? the damping rod (is that the right term?)...

thanks for any advice.

I am manic about tire pressure at 42, and I have no reason to believe my dealer hasn't done a fine job installing the tires and balancing them etc..

I'd like to mess with the suspension just to improve the bike and if it improves tire wear all the better.

again, many thanks for the info -

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I put Hyperpros in. While I notice a performance advantage, I also feel like the forks can be bouncy in a bad way, too.

Overall, I'm glad I have them, but they're not perfect.

Top Bottom