Sore knees after riding

Bike
1999 ST1100
New to me ST1100...put 140 miles on the bike on Saturday, and then 100 on Sunday...some rough roads had me out of the saddle a few times, but knees are sore. I've only been riding for about 650 miles this year (on this bike) and hadn't been riding much previously.

It is not muscle pain, it's pain inside the knees...is this something I'll stop feeling as I get more used to riding the bike or could this be a problem. This is just the first time I've ever really started riding longer distances and so don't know what to expect.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have the same issue on the 1100. This was part of the reason I moved to the 1300. For me the adjustable saddle on the 1300 was enough to straighten the keen bend radius so I don't have issues. On my 1100 I have STeedsticks (highway pegs) and these help as they give me time to change the leg position. Because of this I put MCL wings on my 1300 right away. I find though that I really don't need them for my knees as they bike is set up better for me. I should mention that I have really long legs. 36" inseam to be exact. So this and 10.5 years in the Infantry are the sources of my problems.

Some people have gotten some relief by setting their feet on top of the tip over wings if they don't have highway pegs. Others put them on the passenger pegs. Anything to change up the position a little will help.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I use the passenger pegs a lot. Tip over wings not often because it's difficult to keep your feet there. Or just dangle your feet. Anything to keep changing positions is good.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I had the same problem when I bought my st1100. I found three things contributed to my pain.

1. Temperature - Cooler temps without extra insulation around my knees is a problem, so I bought good riding pants to fix this issue.

2. Tension - Once I became more relaxed on the bike, my knees stopped hurting so much. This happened as I rode more, but also improved with warmer clothes.

3. Stretching - I find that if I do appropriate stretches I have fewer problems too. I especially needed to stretch my quad muscles, but in truth by keeping all my leg muscles stretched out my knees feel much better.

I hope this helps.

Duke

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Change foot position when your are riding often. My knees do stiffen up no matter if it's a 500 mile ride on my ST or one of the Valkyries. I think it's the knees more than the bike. It's worse in winter for me because I don't use the forward pegs trying to keep tucked in out of the wind. I always try to put one foot out ever so often just to strecth them out.

Raymond

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
TYLENOL Arthritis Pain (eight hour timed release.) Seems to work better on joint pain. Ibuprofen seems better for muscle aches.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I have what I think is the same issue on my 1100, and what I did was add the MCL peg lowering blocks, change my foot position on the pegs throughout the day, and spray a good dose of STOPPAIN onto the knees before I even start the day. Often I don't even need a second dose on a 500 mile day. The hiway pegs are good for the knees, but it rotates my pelvis and causes lower back pain eventually. I won't leave home without a spray bottle of STOPPAIN in the tank bag (they make a roll-on also - google it).

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
... and 10.5 years in the Infantry are the sources of my problems. .
That'd do it ;)

I had the same problem when I bought my st1100. I found three things contributed to my pain...

2. Tension - Once I became more relaxed on the bike, my knees stopped hurting so much...

3. Stretching - I find that if I do appropriate stretches I have fewer problems too...Duke
Definitely tension - stretching helps to relieve the immediate strain on the knees from being continually ready to jump off? I slow down for a while, stand up in the pegs for a second if safe to, until I'm ready for more thrills!

I think it's called "old age"! ;)
Yep. That too I don't doubt :(

The older I get the more I know a spill will hurt so I'm gonna get more tense with less effort?

... it's the knees more than the bike. It's worse in winter for me because I...
...Because I'm more inclined to think about falling off the slippery sucker, building more tension than ever I get in good weather. That's my theory anyway.

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
Also, make sure the pants you are wearing do not pinch or cut off the blood flow at the back of the knees.
This has lead to some numbness for me before.
I hope this helps,
Rich

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
There's also the option of changing your seat and bars to let you sit up a bit more. For me, it was having an automotive upholsterer redesign my seat into a leather saddle that lets me sit lower and move around a bit more. Combine that with some risers and you get a pretty comfortable, more upright ride when you want it.

As Duke said, try to relax more on the machine too. Clenching the saddle with your legs is very hard on the knees. The St is a tall sport-tourer, not a cruiser. It can be a bit unnerving to sit on going into tight corners or strong cross-winds at first. Later on you'll just move with it.

Ross

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have to put my seat in the middle position. In the lowest position I have more feet on the ground but that small change in angle makes my knees hurt. Moving the seat to the middle location and I can ride all day long. Sometimes the smallest adjustments make all the difference.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
I have to put my seat in the middle position. In the lowest position I have more feet on the ground but that small change in angle makes my knees hurt. Moving the seat to the middle location and I can ride all day long. Sometimes the smallest adjustments make all the difference.
+1. Middle height at front and lowest at back. The 'tilt' keeps me in place so I don't need to 'hold on' with my feet / legs.

Top Bottom