Spongy Rear Brake.

I wish I had a dime for every ST i've corrected dealership bleeds on....I could've retired much earlier.
Igofar

I have come to the conclusion that most stealerships refuse to spend the time to do a real brake flush! Even if they go beyond the replacing fluids in the MCs, they just don't want their mechanics spending their "valuable" time on things like brake flushing!

I've reached the same conclusion,
A. Saving money.
B. Techs that don't know and don't want to learn.
Result...stay away from STealerships.

To be fair doing the brakes myself probably took me best part of the day I wasn't watching the clock and I was doing a a thorough job. To pay a dealership to spend a whole day on your bike with not be cheap

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

..... To pay a dealership to spend a whole day on your bike with not be cheap

Well, there is one thing you can count on.... A Stealership is not going to spend all day on your brakes! Although they may charge you like they did! :mad:

I have come to the conclusion that most stealerships refuse to spend the time to do a real brake flush! Even if they go beyond the replacing fluids in the MCs, they just don't want their mechanics spending their "valuable" time on things like brake flushing!
Not related to whether or not it gets done properly but rather the reason quoted doesn't add up to me. Assuming that they are charging for the time that the mechanic spends (as opposed to flat-rate) is there a difference whether that time is spent on brake flushing, changing tires or adjusting the emulator.

To be fair doing the brakes myself probably took me best part of the day I wasn't watching the clock and I was doing a a thorough job. To pay a dealership to spend a whole day on your bike with not be cheap

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

The brakes on an ST1300 can be flushed and bled completely and correctly in less than an hour, and that is doing it with a simple check valve, and not a vacuum pump.
The system can be completely gone through, in the proper sequence, with the calipers cleaned, clips replaced, guide pins lubricated, pads replaced, and SMC bearings greased in a couple hours.
The dealerships prices (flat rate book) would have you believe that you MUST remove all the body work (complete fairing assembly) and takes approximately 4+ hours.
The best advice I could give to you, now that you own an ST, is to learn how to service it yourself, with the help of the articles and folks on this forum.

Not related to whether or not it gets done properly but rather the reason quoted doesn't add up to me. Assuming that they are charging for the time that the mechanic spends (as opposed to flat-rate) is there a difference whether that time is spent on brake flushing, changing tires or adjusting the emulator.

I just want to add my thanks to John Heath for his invaluable drawings and articles and also to the other "authorities" on here on this beast's braking system. I've just finished overhauling the brakes on my new-to-me ST1300. I bought the bike (2006 model first registered in 2008) last August and, despite a detailed dealer service history and only 35k miles on the clock, there were some tell tale signs of neglect here and there. So it went up on the ramp last month so that I could give it a thorough check and proper service and deep clean. The articles on here on the brakes have been invaluable, the detailed descriptions and excellent graphics have made the job of bleeding relatively straightforward. Like Biggo, I took off all the calipers and rebuilt them - new seals, new pistons on the rear as they were badly corroded and pitted, cleaned the springs, pins etc and fitted new OE pads all round. I used a vacuum bleeder for the first fill and flush, then just a one-way vv and a helpful wife to keep the reservoirs topped up and pump the pedal or lever as required. Following the guidance on here and being both patient and thorough produced a good, firm lever and pedal and the SMC is working fine too. Great forum and first-class, detailed advice. Thanks, guys :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom