spongy

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
The brakes on my 2003 ST1300ABS just recently went soft. The 'softness' came on all of a sudden, over a period of a week or so. They still work fine, no leaks noted.
I'm going to bleed the brakes when I get some free time.... which means no time soon.... but when I do, is there something else I should look for while I'm doing it? Maybe something in particular that would make them go soft all of a sudden?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Waiting by the white courtesy phone if needed....:call:
Igofar...The STWhisper'er....The Flushah!

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
When was the last time the system was serviced?
The fluid is not bad enough to still be the original but I can't say if/when the PO ever flushed it. I've owned her 1.5 years.
I finished steps 1-4 of the video last night but the front is still spongy. I hope to finish up the rest today or tomorrow.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Even so, it's a 10-year-old bike. If it's only had one change, it could have been five years ago, which makes it waaay overdue. I hope that by "bleeding" you also mean "replacing the fluid."

The brakes on the ST have to be bled as a system, so you can't pass judgement on whether or not it worked unless you do the entire procedure in one go. Doing half of it may remove some air, air in the un-bled parts may migrate and it will all have been for naught.

--Mark

Top Bottom