Sportmax Roadsmart III

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Was mounting my new front tire this past weekend and after seating the bead and setting the pressure, I went to peel of the label on the tread and read the warning not to exceed 40 psi when seating bead.
What?? 40 lousy psi?? I usually run my tires at 40~42 psi and it took about 90 to seat that bead, did I just get away with not killing myself?
PS I barely was able to break the bead on the rear and then could not spoon it off, guess I'm not as young and strong as I once were, so will drop it off to the shop tomorrow, lol.

On another note I also found out these stems don't fit the wheel holes, beware before buying! I measured the hole at 11.2 mm but the rubber shoulder was 13 mm, grrr.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I am sure the tire shops use way more PSI than that to seat the beads. I bought the same tires and had them installed by a shop this past weekend. He put the front at 45 and rear at 50 and said wait a couple of days then bring them down to proper pressure to make sure nothing is leaking.
Bummer about the air valves they look nice.

Bike
R1200rt
I am sure the tire shops use way more PSI than that to seat the beads.
I'm sure they don't. Most shop air should be regulated to 90 psi. If the rim is clean and the tire and rim is lubed it shouldn't take that much air to seat the bead. I have only seen one car tire sidewall blow out from too much pressure seating the bead.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
On another note I also found out these stems don't fit the wheel holes, beware before buying! I measured the hole at 11.2 mm but the rubber shoulder was 13 mm, grrr
Valve stems for an 11.3 mm valve stem hole is the correct size for the ST1100 and ST1300 wheels. Your link states that they are for 11.3 mm holes. Something doesn't add up.

I don't recall going over 50 psi (worse case to 60) to seat a bead ... I always clean the inside of the rim, use a proper lube, then air up. I'll stop airing every now and then to allow the tire to expand on its own. I've mounted tires from 4-5 different manufacturers, all with similar results.

Sidenote: I let the new tire sit out in the sun for an hour prior to installation.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I'm sure they don't. Most shop air should be regulated to 90 psi. If the rim is clean and the tire and rim is lubed it shouldn't take that much air to seat the bead. I have only seen one car tire sidewall blow out from too much pressure seating the bead.
He said the label said not more than 40 psi that’s what I was referring to.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Valve stems for an 11.3 mm valve stem hole is the correct size for the ST1100 and ST1300 wheels. Your link states that they are for 11.3 mm holes. Something doesn't add up.
Yes it seems the description is not accurate. Threaded stem measures 9.5 mm and rubber shoulder measures 12.5 mm, so sure doesn't fit into an 11.3 mm hole without a lot of force! Maybe they are using the wrong rubber washers.
Valve stem.jpg

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Well a little update on these tires, and full confession, I'm trending towards cementing my moron status. (I once was voted number one in the town of Moron, but that's a whole other story)

I was able to break the bead on the rear, but damned if I could get it off with my spoons (maybe old age and only 2 hands), so off to the local for the re and re. Everything installed and ready for a test ride, I'm so excited! First couple of turns and I'm wondering if I assembled everything correctly as it's wallowing into the turns, second thought, are these Sportmax tires that much different? Reality dawns on me that I didn't verify the rear tire pressure after getting it back from the shop ( I had verified the front the week before), so no problem, call it up on the Garmin screen. Hmm, no reading for either tire, crap, dead batteries I bet. Well still can do old school, so stop and pull out the tool kit with the tire gauge, double crap, I forgot to throw it and my compressor in the panniers. Now I am calling myself names and heading back to the barn, fighting every turn. Once back, pull out my gauge and yep, 30 psi on the rear, my bad for not checking. Better verify the front too and as I touch the gauge to the new angle stem that I installed, I hear HISS! Well seems I did NOT tighten those nuts inside enough and the stem could move slightly. Madder than a wet cat, I stomp inside and use another chunk of franglais to insult myself. Next day, after my head was properly re-attached, I returned to the crime scene, pulled the front tire, popped the bead off and tightened those little suckers till the stem wouldn't move. New batteries in the Garmin TPS, tools and compressor in the bags, another test ride and I can finally smile and say ready for OHSTOC.

So note to self, never let excitement to ride get in the way of a double check of things you thought were good.

(PS Ray, only 35 psi to pop the beads when you use enough lube :biggrin:)

Top Bottom