Spotted a nice bike with sidecar

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
What you need is a couple of paving slabs. It helps to keep the sidecar down.

Turning the opposite way, the side car is pressed into the ground. Great fun but it gets through the tyres, and the spokes. And it is self correcting, becasue if you get too ambitious, it lifts the back wheel off the ground - removing the drive.

There's no diff either ,so you either have to force it round a bend, or slow down when turning away from the chair and speed up when turning towards the chair - so that the outside wheel is going faster. But that s the opposite of what you have to do to keep the thing on the ground !

The feeling when you first get on one is weird. Very weird. You instinctivly know how to turn a corner on a bike. You never forget it - its like riding a bike. (Yeah Ok).
But get on a bike and side car, for the first time - it doesn't do what you expect. You set it up to turn a corner and it goes straight on. But its all in the brain. You just get used to it.
I was really worried when I bought my first Pan European in 2000 after not having ridden a motocycle for 20 years. And then it had been combinations. I was worried that the same thing might happen in reverse. I'd have forgotten how to go round a bend. But it didn't. The most challenging thing I had to remember was to put my foot down when I came to a stop.

Top Bottom