SS1K advice: Alabama to Maryland

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm heading up above the Mason-Dixon line early July to pick up the trailer that was in For Sale a few weeks back.
The plan is to avoid as much interstate construction as possible, SS1K on the way up -- with a much milder ride home, as I'll be towing a trailer for the first time.
Here is my proposed route; I want to keep the miles over 1025 but less than 1100, to ensure I don't end up short by a couple.
Welcoming your input! Thanks.

https://goo.gl/maps/hBUp9GSNgsKLqowg8

Bike
2009 ST1300
It looks like a nice trip. The only thing I might suggest -- having ridden and driven quite a bit in the Washington-Baltimore metro region -- is to avoid that area altogether. Depending on what time of day you hit the 495 beltway, you can either be miserable or even more miserable with all the traffic and endless construction.

Since you're picking up the trailer from a location on the Delmarva peninsula, maybe you might want to consider getting there from a southern route by taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel from Virginia Beach to the Virginia Eastern Shore. The tunnel-bridge is an engineering marvel and is worth seeing IMO.

US 460 out of Roanoke goes through some pretty country all the way to Virginia Beach, passing through places like Lynchburg, Appomattox, and Petersburg. Route 460 is a 4 lane road and traffic moves right along, not as fast as the Interstates, but plenty fast for me (and gives me more time to marvel at the lovely scenery :) ).

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, I'll look at that.
Didn't mention but should have -- I want to avoid all I can, of I-95. 81 is prettier and less frenetic, but I know I'll have to go east at some point.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I live five miles from your projected route, as you cross over the top of the DC Beltway. It's an ugly place for a moto, and I never mustered the nerve to tackle the Bay Bridge.

An approach along I 64 then secondary roads through Louisa, Mineral, Bumpass (no, really! It exists!) And Bowling Green, then the US 301 bridge, seems less ... "fraught". But it doesn't get you on the east side of the Chesapeake so maybe the VA Beach option is better. Anything is better than the Beltway.

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I-81 is my least favorite road because of the heavy truck traffic. But if all goes well it might be moving quickly. that Bay Bridge is beautiful. A nice long bridge with a dog leg to make it even more interesting. But definitely avoid hitting it during rush hour.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
I used to live in Annapolis, and crossed the bay bridge often on my bike. It will always take your breath away…. especially with significant cross winds…..

Top Bottom