SSMC failure, Rear Brake Dragging, Brake Noise

I figured that it was time to document my own findings to help other ST owners. First off I have see so many post complaining about the same symptoms but saying it in 14,000 different ways.

To summarize, the rear brake will drag either partially or fully, it may or may NOT sing while it is dragging. This is a VERY SERIOUS failure and could be deadly occurring at the wrong time. The culpritt and the cause of this situation is the SMC (Secondary Master Cylinder) which is activated when using the front brake. What actually is happening is that when you are applying the front brake there is a little bit of nose diving which actuates the SMC which applies the back brakes. Moisture gets into the SMC and causes the SMC plunger to corrode and when this happens and the SMC is activated it will very often NOT deactivate.

1) How do I know if my SMC is acting up ?

If your bike is hard to puch or your driving along and oull in the clutch and the bike brakes on its own, your SMC needs immediate attention.

2) How can I check if it truly is my SMC ?
Put it up on the center stand and spin the back wheel, If it spins freely your OK, If it doesnt your SMC is probably bad, To check it further disconnect the brake line at the very rear of the motorcycle. If you can now spin your wheel 'freely your SMC is bad.

3) How do I repair my SMC ?'
First off buy a SMC repair kit. Put the bike up on the center stand. Remove the SMC. 2 bolts holding the caliper and the SMC to the front fork. Remove the rubber boot at the SMC, dont br graceful just tear the sucker out and the spring that is inside of the boot. Next get a pair of spring clip pliers with semi-fine tips and remove the C-clip in the SMC. I found that squeezing the C-Ckip together with the spring clip pliers can get it out of the groove that it in I then used a screw driver carefully and got up underneath the spring clip and removed it from the barrel of the SMC. The plunger actuator can now be removed. You NOT done yet. Now comes the hard part. If you lucky and the sun is shinning on you and its your lucky day the plunger assembly will pop out at which point you can put the new one in and reverse the procedure and your done. I wasn't that lucky. I had to take about a 1/8" drill and drill into the plunger assembly about 3/8" (NOT CRITICAL) just dont go beyond 1/2" you want enough meet to screw a long drywall screw or sheet metal screw into the plunger to pull it out. I found that I had to screw it in as far as I could go to get the plunger to spin, I then began pulling and pulling and pulling until it finally gave way. Clean out the SMC thoroughly with a good clean paper towel and remove all brake fluid and filings. Put in the new plunger assembly and then install the plunger actuator, then put in the new C-CLIP with the Spring Clip pliers. Seat the boot as far in as you can with your fingers ONLY !

Bleed the brakes in accordance with the service manual.

You may need to add some brake fluid so be sure to have some handy ! I

Reassemble everything and then GO do what the ST was meant to do ! ! !

BE RIDDEN ! :D :07biker:

Any questions I'll be glad to help. it should take NO MORE than 1 1/2 hours from beginning to end !

I hope this post will help someone ! Tomorrow I will post pictures !

Kevin

I have to give credit to Dave (Username: Sennister) for his assistance and guidance. Without him this would NOT have been possible without excessive hair loss and another divorce !

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I would def follow the Honda manual on this... air gets trapped in the SMC which is why it has to be tilted... and don't forget the air may be in multi areas not just the SMC.

I'd do a FULL bleed by the numbers!

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Operation of the SMC has nothing to do with 'fork dive'. The front left brake caliper is mounted on a pivoting arm that relies on the drag caused by actuation of the front brakes, to move the caliper and SMC assembly forward, forcing the SMC piston into the cyllinder. The flow of fluid is governed by a delay valve that slows and buffers rear brake actuation to stop any lockups caused by over-excited use of the front brake lever.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 on following the proper bleeding sequence during regular maintenance and after a repair like the above. Not removing the caliper and tilting ensures the SMC is not bled completely.

I believe the design of the SMC lends itself to corrosion if brake system maintenance is neglected or not done properly. Air and then moisture collects in the SMC if not serviced as recommended per manual. From there it is a crap shoot if you will or will not have problems later.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Glad I could be of some help getting the piston out. I know mine was stuck as well but not as bad as yours.

Another symptom that I had noticed is that the piston would stick in the compressed position, because there was no spring pressure on the assembly it would flop around on the left fork and make a loud rattling sound. If I applied brakes it would stop rattling. Some have been able to get things working again by doing a bleed of the brakes. I assume this flushes out the contaminated fluid if caught soon enough and things start working for a while. While it could be corrosion, I didn't see any in my assembly. I think the seals on the piston swelled up and restricted movement. I know when I got my piston out the brake fluid on the back side was a milky color.

When I bled my brakes I did so with the left caliper at an angle as mentioned in the manual. I will also advise to get some teflon tape and tape all the bleed valves. It will make things a lot easier when bleeding and save a lot of time.

I just had mine replaced under the original 3 yr. Honda warranty (I've got a 2008
Of course it ate up the rear pads too and Honda replaced them under warranty. Keep in mind, I almost NEVER touch the rear brake pedal when riding, so the pads didn't have a lot of wear on them. I realize that when using the front brakes, the LBS makes the rears operate, but I almost never use the rear. Anyway, now there is some vibration in the rear brake pedal and after this weekend, I'm suppose to let the service manager know if it's still there and if it is, he is going to try and get the rear disc replaced under the same warranty claim.

Update to the original post..........The warranty did cover a new disc for the rear also, and I got the bike back yesterday. I went on a ride today and ended up doing approx. 250 miles and made myself use the rear brake, at least some of the time. Everything was smooth and there was absolutely no pulsations coming from the rear when operating the rear brake. Seems like everything is back to normal......finally.

On a side note, when the Secondary master cylinder failed and the original problems surfaced, the rear brake got so hot that it melted the back side of the left saddlebag and hopefully they are going to replace that part also.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
just realized how old this thread was.....oooops
Anybody have photo's of rebuilding one of these things?

Top Bottom