ST 1300 rear shock

Hello everyone. My rear shock needs to be replaced. It is an 08 with 50,000 miles on it. Other than replacing it with another stock shock, Is there another one that is heavier duty? I'm 230 pounds and sometimes ride 2up. thanks for any feedback.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Racetech used to offer a rebuild of the stock shock that uses upgraded valving and a spring correctly matched to your weight and riding style. I was light enough to retain use of the stock spring and the Racetech revalving made a noticeable difference in ride and handling. The price has gone up since RT rebuilt my shock but I feel it is a viable choice between replacing stock and more expensive aftermarket shocks.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I replaced mine last year at 80k with an OEM replacement. It was around $650 from Ron Ayers. I had called Race Tech about a rebuild and it was around $600 with new valves and the stock spring. I read about some who had trouble with rebuilds so I felt it was easier and lower risk to just get the OEM unit. I'm sure I'll never need to replace it again.

STlicious

Brad
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for sharing your experience and of course, I should have realized my mileage is going to vary depending on the time of year and their respective processes that factor in to turn around times. I’ll call. Thanks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I opted for the RT rebuild w/ gold valves after I saw how different the front felt after installing gold valves in the forks myself. The back did not make as significant a difference, but it was very noticeable.

I did ask them to replace the preload hose. My thoughts were if I am rebuilding the shock, why keep an older hose? The new hose was significantly stiffer than the OEM one, and the banjo fitting at the preload adjuster end was much longer than the OEM. These two differences made reinstalling the unit a real pita. The OEM banjo is short allowing a gentle bend for the hose, my RT fitting was longer and the hose had to bend more sharply.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Have you topped up and bled your rear shock preload adjuster? I just did mine today....it was empty! Now I actually some preload to play with. Takes 10 minutes, 10mm wrench, and 10cc of hydraulic jack oil.
I checked the rear shock preloader yesterday,,, on my 2012. 14 clicks,, or 7 full turns before I got any pressure on it. Guess what I will be doing very soon,,, CAt'

Top Bottom