St Joe river road Idaho.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Yes its passable on an ST, just make sure its clear of snow, when we did that route mid June it had only just been cleared at the very top where the gravel ends and the asphalt starts ! Its a 12 mile climbing gravel road on the Montana side
IMGP3318.JPGIMGP3319.JPGIMGP3320.JPG

OP
OP
maddog13
Bike
CBR500R
Yes its passable on an ST, just make sure its clear of snow, when we did that route mid June it had only just been cleared at the very top where the gravel ends and the asphalt starts ! Its a 12 mile climbing gravel road on the Montana side
IMGP3318.JPGIMGP3319.JPGIMGP3320.JPG
What direction do you think is better? I'm wondering how steep the climb is on the Montana side. Now just need the boarder to get open with out any restrictions.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Quite doable on an ST. Just take your time if you are not used to gravel. Pick your line and keep to it. It is not that steep. If you are E to W (up) just maintain momentum and you will be fine. Only the last couple of miles before ID have much of an incline. The rest is pretty level. The 12 miles of gravel is simply a gateway to 80+ miles of some of the best riding in the PNW.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Back when we rode that from Idaho to Montana on that section of road, maybe 2014?, the Montana gravel side was more like a hard packed road than anything resembling typical gravel. I think that it was treated with a dust reducing chemical and it was almost like riding tar & chip. It was an easy ride for non pavement.

Now, the road from Avery, ID to Wallace, ID, the way we got to the St. Joe River, you don't want to run that with an ST unless you like true gravel roads. It was not an issue with my Tenere but I got an earful from the now wife and Jimster who were both on Wee Stroms. That road was much steeper and had larger gravel to deal with but the closer we got to Avery, the better it got. We ended up going through nearly 6 tunnels that used to be the old railroad route. It was an epic ride through that section but I did take a lot of tongue lashing for making that choice. I would certainly do it again if I ever get out that way.

Be sure to stop in Avery and get a snack. They had boards of hunting pictures at the store. I never realized how big wolves are until I saw some of those pics. One of the picture sequences was from a hunter in a tree stand that took photos of a wolf pack taking down a moose right below him and making a meal of it. I'm guessing he stayed in that tree for some time that day!

OP
OP
maddog13
Bike
CBR500R
Back when we rode that from Idaho to Montana on that section of road, maybe 2014?, the Montana gravel side was more like a hard packed road than anything resembling typical gravel. I think that it was treated with a dust reducing chemical and it was almost like riding tar & chip. It was an easy ride for non pavement.

Now, the road from Avery, ID to Wallace, ID, the way we got to the St. Joe River, you don't want to run that with an ST unless you like true gravel roads. It was not an issue with my Tenere but I got an earful from the now wife and Jimster who were both on Wee Stroms. That road was much steeper and had larger gravel to deal with but the closer we got to Avery, the better it got. We ended up going through nearly 6 tunnels that used to be the old railroad route. It was an epic ride through that section but I did take a lot of tongue lashing for making that choice. I would certainly do it again if I ever get out that way.

Be sure to stop in Avery and get a snack. They had boards of hunting pictures at the store. I never realized how big wolves are until I saw some of those pics. One of the picture sequences was from a hunter in a tree stand that took photos of a wolf pack taking down a moose right below him and making a meal of it. I'm guessing he stayed in that tree for some time that day!
Thanks for the feed back. I'm just looking to ride the road along the river. I was willing to ride to the Montana border and then turn around and ride back but would rather carry on forward.

Top Bottom