ST trailer tie down

Bike
2008 ST 1300
I have used handle bar tie downs in front and foot pegs (I believe) in the back to transport my ST by trailer. I did get some rubbing on the fairing and I am not sure how secure the handle bar tie down is on the ST. Does anyone have any other experience or suggestions.
Thanks
Randy

I pull the plastic covers from the tip over wings and tie down there....very sturdy! also around fork leg just above lower triple clamp.

Do not use handlebars on ST1300... they have a rubber isolator between them and the forks and you'll do damage.

I like to go from top of triple tree/forks to the front of the trailer and go from frame (by rear bags) to back of trailer.

Also recommend a wheel chock to make it a one man job. Then add a strap tying the front wheel into chock...

T

just securing the tipover bars will be good enough for the front (anchors being just a bit in front of the tipover bars). remove the saddlebags and put a loop around the step to secure it in the rear (anchors, just a little behind the step).

I need to make a webpage with pics and all...:think1:

When I had my wrecked '04 on the trailer in the back yard, I tried the tip over wings as tie down points and removed all the other straps. Wanted to see how sturdy they felt, it just doesn't seem that they have enough leverage to make good tie points in regards to tipping. And since the bike was going to totaled, what did I have to lose.

For me.. no.. there was not enough leverage. But to each, to their own, many folks have trailed many miles that way.

When I had my wrecked '04 on the trailer in the back yard, I tried the tip over wings as tie down points and removed all the other straps. Wanted to see how sturdy they felt, it just doesn't seem that they have enough leverage to make good tie points in regards to tipping. And since the bike was going to totaled, what did I have to lose.

For me.. no.. there was not enough leverage. But to each, to their own, many folks have trailed many miles that way.

TC, I just got back from a 1,000 mile trip, trailering my '04 ST1300, using the tipover bars, as tiedowns the entire way.

I have trailered my ST1300s and other bikes for years. (Not by choice...wife won't ride too far) I have always used the tipover wings on the ST1300s anytime I trailer them and they hold quite well. Of course, that could depend where your anchors are located. I placed mine near, slightly in front of the tipover bars, so they could hold the bike during transport, just fine! But I also tie them in the back just so it doesn't hop around.

trailering.jpg
trailering_04.jpg
trailering_10.jpg

I just got back from a 1,000 mile trip, trailering my '04 ST1300, using the tipover bars, as tiedowns the entire way.

I know... some people do and are quite happy. Some people like ratchet straps, some just want cam buckle style. I'm just voicing the opinion and fax of one person, take it with a grain of salt, a dash of cayenne pepper and get some lunch. :eat1:

No right or wrong, except for maybe that person who ties it down with jute twine.... don't really recommend that.
T

Eight point tie down for my ST. How ever I recommend no less than a 6 point tie down for a ST1100/1300. Heavy bike.

Back
Top Bottom