ST1100 ABS how do I test the ABS system?

Hello all,

I've had my ST for about 5 years now, I have yet to feel any tell-tale pulsation that the ABS is being activated. But then again, I haven't had any close calls.

My ABD/TCS indicator lights turn on startup, and turn off after riding like they are supposed to. I've gotten a TCS or ABS warning light flashing a couple times but restarting the bike clears them.

I did a series a 45+ mph to full stops on a secluded area today, couldn't lock up the brakes, and I stopped when I got nauseated from the rapid braking.

Is there someone that has experienced the ABS activate and how it's supposed to feel?

Bike
2005 st1300
Let these dogs describe the feel for you...

abs dogs.jpg

Just like the dogs, try it in a limited traction environment like a wet street or an unpaved road.
LOL... thats perfect. The first thing that came to mind was "how long has he had that picture on his computer, waiting for someone to ask that question"...:rofl1:

OP
OP
Widowmaker
Let these dogs describe the feel for you...

abs dogs.jpg

Just like the dogs, try it in a limited traction environment like a wet street or an unpaved road.
Lol Yes I do know how its supposed to feel like, but I appreciate the corgis.

Wet streets and unpaved roads I stay away from unless I'm touring or on a roadtrip lol.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Did you try a hard stop from about 45mph using just the rear brake?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Wet streets and unpaved roads I stay away from unless I'm touring or on a roadtrip lol.
Regardless, low traction surfaces are the best way to test it without imparting stressful stopping forces. When I had an R1200GS with ABS I used to punch the back brake hard on a downhill part of my gravel driveway just to confirm that it still operates like corgi A.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Did you try a hard stop from about 45mph using just the rear brake?
This. Regardless of traction level, 45mph & stand hard on the back brake. If it doesn't chatter, ABS doesn't work (or you're not standing on the pedal hard enough).

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used to test mine going over a manhole cover, front brake. Nothing more than 30, but braked hard enough just before the cover so that the front had already dived while still on the tarmac. I reckoned that I would be over it before anything untoward happened as long as I hit the cover square on.
The sensation was slightly sickening first time. The lever pulsed rapidly and felt (and sounded ?) like a ratchet and it squeezed towards the bars - as if there was air in the system. But the bike didn't do anything apart from stay upright. It was odd feeling the lever doing what it was doing. It was worth doing because the next time I did it, I knew what to expect.
The back brake - I just did that on our unmade road. The back locks up very easily on that surface without ABS. The sensation was similar but not quite as alarming as the first time with the front brakes.

OP
OP
Widowmaker
I used to test mine going over a manhole cover, front brake. Nothing more than 30, but braked hard enough just before the cover so that the front had already dived while still on the tarmac. I reckoned that I would be over it before anything untoward happened as long as I hit the cover square on.
The sensation was slightly sickening first time. The lever pulsed rapidly and felt (and sounded ?) like a ratchet and it squeezed towards the bars - as if there was air in the system. But the bike didn't do anything apart from stay upright. It was odd feeling the lever doing what it was doing. It was worth doing because the next time I did it, I knew what to expect.
The back brake - I just did that on our unmade road. The back locks up very easily on that surface without ABS. The sensation was similar but not quite as alarming as the first time with the front brakes.
Thank you, after reading this I dont think I've ever activated the system. I pulled the entire system out save for the abs units. I hope to test it once I rebuild the system. But 3-4 weeks time until I can get the gaskets I need for the carbs :(

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I've only had one bike with ABS in my time - well two, but I removed the ABS from one of them. I learned in that time that if you are upright, you have almost exactly one-half second with the front brake locked before the bike starts to turn in. That is plenty of time to get off the brakes and reapply - which is what ABS does. I am not saying that you can do it as well as ABS can, only that you don't have to automatically fall down just because you do not have it and you locked the front. I have never fallen from a braking error, but I have locked, released, and re-applied the front brake many times. It is amazing to me how consistent the one-half second time has been over many different bikes. So now when I lock the front the response is muscle memory and panic-free.

I have done same thing trying to test ABS, also tried getting off into the soft gravel on side of roadway at lower speeds of course! The problem is the Linked braking stops so well I don't seem to be able to lock up the brakes. So no perceptible locking of a wheel yet. The ST stops so well I may never need the ABS!

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The ST stops so well I may never need the ABS!
It may sit there 10 years waiting on its chance to shine. It won't get bored, but it makes sense to find a way to check it regularly so you can be sure that it is on call in the case that you need it. The self-check is helpful, but it is not a full system test.

True that you may never need it. The better your braking technique, the less ABS will come into play on any machine. I owned my 2013 R1200GS for four years and the only ABS activations were during my intentional tests. For a well-trained rider there should never really be such a thing as a "panic stop". "Emergency stops" will occasionally arise, but "panic" means you have abandoned fine control of the machine and fallen back to survival responses. Since those are almost always incorrect, it is good that a well-reasoned computer takes over. In an emergency, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, you will sink to the level of your training. In all cases, it is better to continue to execute correct control of the motorcycle all the way to the scene of the accident ....and maybe there won't be one.

Bike
ST1100AY
here should never really be such a thing as a "panic stop". "Emergency stops" will occasionally arise, but "panic" means you have abandoned fine control of the machine and fallen back to survival responses.
I am not sure which category this falls into ....

One night I was driving on an unlit road at approx 80kph (50mph) on my K1200LT , I saw truck headlights on other side of dual carriageway with full beam on, I flashed my lights just as I hit a brand new speed bump that was covered in sand and not signposted , my pillion and I were launched into the air out of the saddle as the truck did a U turn directly in front of me. My pillion hit me hard and knocked my right hand off the grip.

My foot found the brake first and reflex took over because the side of the semi-trailer of the truck was looming close, think I almost bent the brake pedal I pushed so hard, both wheels triggered ABS (sand covering made it a bit more slippery) and by some miracle I stopped before hitting the semi-trailer. My hand didn't make it back to the grip until almost stationary.

Before this his point in time I was not a big advocate of linked brakes nor ABS, after this point I realised they had uses !!!

I went back the next afternoon and discovered them putting up a signpost for the hump and another saying give way to quarry trucks turning !! Guess the "hump" installers and the "sign" installers worked to different schedules .

Last edited:
Top Bottom