ST1100 ABS problems

Hello. I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am hoping that some one out there will be able to help me with a problem that i am currently having with the ABS on a 2001 ST1100.
I bought the bike around 2 years ago with plans of long tours around the uk. I did a few small rides out before the dreaded covid and then the bike stood for around 15 months.
During that time i put new end cans on and fitted a sat nav mount with associated wiring. But didnt take the bike out anywhere (commitments).
Finally got round to a time when i could use the bike. Checked everything over and set off for an MOT. Halfway to the station the ABS light started flashhig.
Cancelled the MOT went back home and hit the internet.
Watched a couple of Youtube videos on code retrievels but my bike does not show any codes. I was careful not to wipe codes. But no codes showed anyway.
I then tried to troubleshoot and found that with the bike on the centre stand the front sensor would cause the abs dashboard light to flash when the front wheel was rotated but the back sensor did not when the rear wheel was rotated.
I though that i had pinpointed the problem and got a second hand sensor off ebay.
When it arrived i fitted it and with the bike on the centre stand tried again. The dash board abs flashed when the wheel was rotated. Took the bike out and the abs light went off as it should.
Booked the bike back in for MOT. On the way to the station the light started flashing again.
Back in the garage i have found the following.
If i go through the code retrieval routine it still shows no code. I clear the no code and when rotating the backwheel with the bike on the centre stand and in first gear, engine running the sensor works and the dashboard light flashes.
If i then turn off the ignition and do not go through the code retrieval routine but just start the bike / spinning the back wheel in gear the sensor does nothing and the dashboard light stays on.
I am now leaning towards an ecu problem as the sensor is obviously working.
Everything i have read on the internet starts off with the retrieval bit, but no one mentions what to do if you can not do this. I do not want to go down the expensive road of just changing random components with my fingers crossed. Also whats going on with hondas spare prices.
Has anyone else come across this problem.
Sorry for waffling on.
Thanks in advance.
Dave Murphy

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The ABSII system doesn’t like a weak battery or a poor connection to the battery, so insure your battery terminals are tight and your battery is fully charged.
Testing on the centre stand is difficult as both wheels need to be turning the same speed or an error code will happen. The system does a self check when it first turns on and you need to drive at least 30 feet before the lights turn off and the system has calibrated.
I have attached pictures from my manual on how to retrieve end cancel the codes as well as two tables to help source out if you have a faulty ABS light and what to check.

Attachments

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Looking at the table diagram 44 the bottom right, it’s possible the connector at the switch on your fairing is faulty, have a look at that, clean the terminals and reassemble. Check your main ABS fuse as well, make sure it isn’t burn’t out.

Bike
VStrom 650
I don't have ABS, and don't want it, for the reasons that you probably don't want it at the moment too.
But, I'm with Kiltman, it could well be a weak battery which is confusing things. Charge it until it's fully charged, clean the connections and earths, including the one by the grab handle.
I don't think the sensors would fail because it's been parked but have you changed the brake fluid. Modules don't like water, not one bit.
Good luck and welcome from Northumberland UK.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Dave Murphy
Thanks for the speedy replies.
The battery is new and kept on an optimate.
That is the retrieval code method that i have tried.
Does anyone know if there is a way to test the abs ecu.
I think that i will spend a couple of hours later today cleaning connectors, earths, fuses etc and then take it for a run in the morning.
See what happens.
Thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome.

OP
OP
Dave Murphy
Just a quick update.
Spent last night cleaning all the electrical connections, fuses, earth connections etc.
Cleaned all the connector plugs with electrical contact spray and left disconnected over night to dry out.
I also did the red wire bypass while i was at it.
Took it out for a quick ride tonight (not far. no MOT) and everything seems ok and the ABS light goes out when i get moving.
Thankyou gentlemen for all your input.
Dave

Just a quick one. Where do i go on this site to view what people have done to mount sat navs.
I have made a bracket that sits on top of my brake resevoir but would prefer something more in my line of vision.
Thanks again
Dave

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Also try a search for a "dash shelf". Most mount above the dash panel using stock screws. Check here and also do a "google" search.

Top Bottom