ST1100 ABS TCS etc Anti-Skid System ?

5Stan8

Over 60 years old rider
Bike
ST1100 ABS '98
I have a question: do our bikes have a rear wheel anti-skid system when downshifting? A few times it happened to me that when releasing the clutch after downshifting, I heard an unpleasant grinding noise somewhere from the drive train.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have a question: do our bikes have a rear wheel anti-skid system when downshifting? A few times it happened to me that when releasing the clutch after downshifting, I heard an unpleasant grinding noise somewhere from the drive train.
No, because the ABS can only reduce brake-fluid pressure. It can sense that the wheel is slipping and trigger the pump to attempt to reduce pressure, which might be what you're hearing, but it cannot avert downshift-induced wheel slip.

Please note that I have never owned an ABS-equipped bike; I'm just drawing on my general acumen and what I've read here. I'm sure other forum members with greater knowledge than I have will correct or corroborate what I said.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
TCS kicking in would alter ignition timing, "taming" the engine, loss of power... (IIRC does the system allow ~5% slippage on rear wheel)

A shudder/rumbling noise upon harsh/sudden clutch engagement would rather indicate worn friction plates, weakened clutch springs or oil issues...

Bike
VStrom 650
I think we need a bit more Stan. Like what rpm are you reaching on downshifts.
My 11 is very quiet and doesn't start to lock wheels on downshifts. I tend to ride in the 3000 to 6000 rpm range but with very little time above 5000 rpm even on downshifts.
Have you checked if there's too much slack in the drive train.
But no, we haven't got slipper clutches or electronic gizmos to assist.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Grinding? I had a 'slap' or a 'clank' from too much play in the final drive on my 1300. These units, unlike BMW's are remarkably trouble free and reliable for years and years. Mine was likely defective from the factory, but no grinding. You might enlist a friend, put the bike on the center stand, engage the transmission and try to replicate the noise while he goes over the bike with a mechanic's stethoscope. You will have to take off some of the fairing for this, but that's what it took to locate the origin of my noise.

What is the condition of your rear splines?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
What you are referring to is called a slipper clutch, and no we don't have one. TCS only controls wheelspin caused by over-application of the throttle for the current traction conditions. ABS only controls lock-up caused by over-application of the brakes for the current traction conditions.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m thinking Stan is asking if the 1100 has a slipper clutch (if I’m correct) and it does not- I have done the same thing in the past downshifting too abruptly into too low a gear for the speed I was at. I have learned to avoid that and it’s only happened once or twice with both bikes

Bike
ST1100
I hear this grinding sound too, when I drop clutch abruptly and try to pick front wheel of the pavement.
Never get rear wheel slipped on asphalt. Not even a squeak of the tire, just this horrible noice. Clutch is rebuilt recently. So that means that I need to get prepared to rebuild drive shaft too?

Top Bottom