ST1100 ABS1 Traction Control Issues

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Refer ABS1 Model running Battlax T32 GT Tyres - Front 120/70 Rear 170/60. Front approx 5000km old.

This is for any ABS1 riders in the future having similar problems.

I have now done over 1000kms with new rear 170/60 tyre and have learnt more about the vagaries of the TCS. I can invoke a TCS OFF error or not by my riding behaviour. The TCS currently does not like situations that put the wheels out of alignment. This primarily at slow speeds (under 60kmh) from a swerve or picking the bike rapidly at the front while the rear is still at angle. Eg standing the bike up to turn off at a roundabout.

Knowing this, I can do 100s kms by myself out in the country without a TCS error. Ride in a group ("browns cows") it happens almost straight away.

Some thoughts:

1. I assume the TCS uses the front wheel as the baseline for controlling the rear. Cutting the power on a front wheel slide would lead to disaster...

2. I assume that as the TCS ecu monitors wheel speed and ignition, it would be able to determine what gear you would be in

3. I assume the TCS is only built for 1 front and rear tyre spec based on the workshop manual and its vintage

4. With 1,2,3 the TCS ecu would know what are the allowable tyre speed profiles with margins

5. I think the front wheel sensor data is critical for errors as any tyre variation would contrast against the known baseline. It only started happening with the 120/70 (8mm smaller diameter) but I would like to try it with the ABS 2 front wheel (3.5 inch rim).

6. I have run Michelin pilot rears 160/60 with an oem front without ever having errors. Both new 160/60 and a 170/60 rear tyres are smaller than a worn 160/70.

The TCS error is the better of the two possible conditions. Having the TCS try to control a phantom slide would be troublesome. I am not sure it works normally with the permanent ABS modulator error. Certainly monitoring still happens as I can invoke the TCS active light while spinning on dirt.

I will live with it as I love the Battlax GT tyres.

Regards
Garry

Last edited:
Top Bottom