ST1100 Alternator Troubles

Hi all

I own a 1993 ST 1100 with a bad alternator. I need to source a new 28 amp alternator or source a 40 amp and do the conversion. Any help locating the necessary parts will be greatly appreciated!
Please note, I lve in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada but I will order the parts from wherever necessary.

Thanks

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hi all

I own a 1993 ST 1100 with a bad alternator. I need to source a new 28 amp alternator or source a 40 amp and do the conversion. Any help locating the necessary parts will be greatly appreciated!
Please note, I lve in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada but I will order the parts from wherever necessary.

Thanks
I had success ordering a 40 amp alternator off of eBay. It was a brand new Asian knock off. It was a good quality unit. I paid $145 for it. You will need an adapter plate (which is no longer available from Honda but there is a member that has made some and he retails them . Use the search feature in the upper right corner.
Unfortunately the loaner tool kit isn’t available to Us north of the 49th, no matter most of the tools needed are available. I would advise getting a new rubber boot for the drive shaft. You will need a castle nut wrench to remove the swing arm also available on eBay from Great Britain . You need the one with the arm extension so you can use a torque wrench on it. A 17mm Allen key is also required Princess Auto has them.
Becom a member of ST riders forum and that will give you access to the archives of wisdom, scroll through that for the write up on how to upgrade to 40 amp alternator. It is an excellent resource.
It will take a weekend to do, it’s mostly time consuming removing the swing arm… and there can be challenges lining up the gears on the install. It demands a bit of patience.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just to add that the original 28A oil cooled stators have been discontinued for some time now, so finding one new is unlikely. I don't think I'd do all the work to install a used one given the longevity issues they have. Also, on the odd chance that your regulator is bad, that's an additional expense that makes replacing the old 28A system (stator and regulator) more expensive than doing the upgrade, even back when the only source for the 40A alternator was Honda at around $350-$400. The new 40A has an integral regulator / rectifier. There's just no argument that makes sense to repair or replace the old system.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got a new 40 Amp 'Chinese' alternator in the box in my 'spares' bin I would sell you - but as is (no warranty, no guarantee).
I have no intention of using it (since I have 4 spare ST1100s) and got it with one of my parts bikes.
I don't know what the shipping would be to Canada, but probably quite a bit due to the weight.
If you are interested, PM me.
You would still need the adapter plate and such.

Top Bottom