ST1100 Brakes upgrade questions.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I think I need to rebuild my front brake calipers. They still have that.........not so smooth, jerky feeling when applied and even when I let off, it has a sudden release. So, if I rebuild the calipers, I might as well rebuild the master cylinder and upgrade the rotors and pads.

Here is the question. Best pads and rotors for the front and best location to buy the rebuild kits?

Also, I think I should change the front fork springs while I am at it as well, got that nose dive thing going on.

Bike
BMW GS
I went with Galfer Wave Rotors on my 1100. Not because they look cool, (because I think they look kinda goofy on a tour bike), but it was all I could get in the alotted time I had - we were going ona trip when I noticed my OEM rotors were beyond thin at the time.

I tried Galfer HH pads and they sucked big time. Never did like EBC's all that well either, (didn't last long and didn't feel all that great), so I went back to OEM Honda pads and am happy with them.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
BILL - Standard or ABS? I've always used the OEM pads with great success. BTW, I didn't know there was an 'upgrade' for the rotors so thanks for that info. If it's a standard, you might find a good set of rotors on EBAY. ABS stuff seems to be much rarer. Good luck on your project.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
It is a non-ABS. I have found Galfer wave rotors, at $186, as well as EBC makes a set called Pro-Lite at $175. Times 2 is a big hit. I have read enough to think that I will not look into turning the OEM rotors. The price of the aftermarket stuff is cheaper than OEM rotors. I am leaning towards the EBC rotors with OEM pads.

edit: Has anyone used this place for parts?. http://www.oldbikebarn.com/

Last edited:
Bike
BMW GS
I do some crew work for a WERA Endurance racing team. They're sponsored by EBC and get EBC rotors and pads free of charge. What kind of rotors do they run on their race bikes? Vesrah. The EBC rotors are just so crap and tend to warp very easily and quickly. The EBC guy at the races is aware of that and looks the other way as long as they run the EBC stickers on the bikes. He knows they're crap. The other teams all know they're crap.

While the ST isn't going to generate the heat that an endurance race bike will, it was good enough to turn me off to them.

The ST uses the same pads and rotors as a CBR600 F2 (I think it's an F2, might be the F3 though) so there should be a decent number of options out there as far as rotors go.

I've been using SBS pads on my ST for years. They have great stopping power and excellent fade resistance. They are also easy on the rotors. I use Vesrah on my RC51 and absolutely love them. I haven't tried the pads they offer for the ST though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom