ST1100 fork brace question

My old bike (Vulcan 750) showed significant improvement in handling after installing Progressive springs and a fork brace. It was well worth the money and I have no regrets.

Now, the ST is a different animal and handles better without me doing anything. The previous owner installed the Progressive springs so I don't know what the stock springs feel like. I'm wondering if the MCL fork brace will improve handling any? I don't have any specific complaints but I'm always open improvements.

Thanks.
:biker:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The 1100 has a minimal fork brace under the fender. Have to assume it helps somewhat. STick has nothing else, ReSTored has the added billet brace above the fender. I can't tell the difference.

Both of mine are 91, with (IIRC) 41 mm forks.

For what it's worth,

Last edited:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
The post '95 ST1100A has a very stout fork brace hidden in the fender assembly and heavier forks. It does not benefit much from a brace. IIRC Superbrace never saw the need and never made one. A very many however reported a brace helping the early bikes. What year is yours?

OP
OP
jaster
The post '95 ST1100A has a very stout fork brace hidden in the fender assembly and heavier forks. It does not benefit much from a brace. IIRC Superbrace never saw the need and never made one. A very many however reported a brace helping the early bikes. What year is yours?
Mine is a '95. I have replaced the tires and don't recall a brace under the fender. It was getting dark and I wasn't looking for it so it may be there...

the 97 st11 i ride substantially improved the front end "nervousness" of "jiggling" over every surface imperfection...with the replacement of stock springs with the progressive springs...damping is much better for small road imperfections & not as much jiggling...don't have any need for fork brace as far as i can tell...progressive springs give much better ride with less fatigue from me!...

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Mine is a '95. I have replaced the tires and don't recall a brace under the fender. It was getting dark and I wasn't looking for it so it may be there...
I can't remember if the change was in the 95 or 96 model year.....I think '96. It was the same year that the alternator was upgraded. IIRC (and it's been a few years) the brace was sort of hidden between the two halves of the fender if that makes any sense. It also serves as the main mount point of the fender assembly to the forks.

OP
OP
jaster
The heavier ABS model brace is shown in this pic. Even though similar in shape, the ST1100ABS one was much heavier.
Any idea if the ABS brace would fit a non-ABS bike? The ABS brace squared off as opposed to rounded and it uses a different fender. But, if it's heavier (as it should be for ABS), then it would be a good deal at $49.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If you decide to fit a super brace or any othe brace that goes across the top of the front fender, re-route that brake line you see secured in the little metal clip on the underside of the lower triple clamp over the clamp instead. There were some reports of the brace coming up when hitting a large bump and smashing the metal clip which then pinches the brake line shut and keeps it pinched! If you were braking when this happens, the brakes will not release. If you weren't braking at the time, you could have a very nasty surprise the next time you need the brakes and they are not there!

Top Bottom