ST1100 GPS mount: simple and cheap

Lucky

Carpe Diem
Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
Very inexpensive GPS mount for the ST1100. This mount puts the GPS right in your line of sight.

Parts used:

Metal strap (3X7 inches) from Home Depot
RAM mount bracket for which ever GPS you have
3M Dual Lock: like super Velcro. Had some left over from my Laminar Lip but you can get it on ebay or from Radio Shack.
Spray paint (I used primer color to match the ST grey dash)

Process:
Remove the windshield.
Bend the metal strap 90 degrees upward at a height where, when you mount your GPS, it?s at a height that doesn?t obstruct the dash lights (high beam, side stand, etc).
Drill 2 holes in the metal strap to match the RAM bracket mounting holes.
Spray paint the metal strap but not on the bottom where you?re going to stick the 3M Dual Locks (cause it doesn?t attach as well to painted surfaces.
Attach the 3M Dual Lock. I used 2 strips of it.
Mount the whole thing but be sure you have it lined up like you want it before attaching the 3M to the dash area (cause it doesn?t like to come loose once your applied the taped side).
Reinstall the windshield.

Hook up some power source to your GPS. I ran a 3 foot ?mini USB to USB cable? (bought on ebay for $2) from inside my left dash pocket, out under the fairing so it came out of the upper dash area. Inside the dash pocket it?s plugged into a dual USP power port which is run back to a fuse box.

Attachments

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Nice job. Do you get much vibration with the mount? I would worry that a rough road would make the GPS hard to read if it bounced around a lot. Any issues with that?

Bike
Supere Tenere
This was the ST I bought in Nashville and rode home. Yes, there was so much vibration, I ended up cutting up a Styrofoam cup and wedging it in between the mount and the windshield. I ended up making a dash out of an aluminum plate and getting a ram ball mount. Works great now but yes, it did cost more.

;-) Paul
See photo:
gps mount.jpg

Bike
ST1300
That setup looks straightforward and simple to do. Wondering about the vibration as well and if the better long term decision is to start with a dash and ram ball mount.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have my Samsung with GPS function velcroed to the top of the tank bag where the map pocket would go. The 7" screen is large enuff to show much more territory than the typical GPS. I like being able to "see" the area, not just a couple miles of road.

Bike
1994 ST1100
Very nice job. If it vibrates, try to install diagonal bracket to it, or if you can get longer sheet and bend it into triangle and tight together with those two screws you're attaching GPS mount to e bracket.
where did you get that nice GPS shade from?

Mark

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Shades are easy. Buy a homework notebook with a thin vinyl cover and cut/score it to your own liking. Add some industrial velcro to the cover and the GPS mount and you are good to go. I have on good authority that the velcro will hold the cover in place in triple digit speeds ... :D

Bike
1994 ST1100
Shades are easy. Buy a homework notebook with a thin vinyl cover and cut/score it to your own liking. Add some industrial velcro to the cover and the GPS mount and you are good to go. I have on good authority that the velcro will hold the cover in place in triple digit speeds ... :D
Thanks Uncle Phil. Good idea. I know, and love Velcro. It holds my windshield extension and I've flown 102 mph and it didn't even move.

Thank you.

Mark

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Great thread! Such innovative minds :bow1::bow1:

I was thinking of a RAM mount as well, but this looks to be a great alternative though! DIY is real fun :)

Regards,
Vishnu

Top Bottom