ST1100 Headlight Assembly ID Numbers

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I've collected a couple ST1100 headlight assemblies and I'm trying to figure out which lens is which. I had purchased a couple Euro assemblies in the past and mistakenly purchased the UK model before I thought I had acquired the true Euro version, but now I'm not sure. There are old posts about this, but nothing that clearly indicates what ID's the Euro from the UK (at least that I can find). I checked the CMSL site, but the part numbers themselves vary by country and the part numbers aren't on the assemblies anyway. Just trying to sort out what I have.

I have one stamped "5298" in the glass, and the other "5266". Both units have Stanley 001-5298 numbers stamped on the plastic assembly itself. One of the spare units I have has the top bulb tab cutout at 12 o'clock (5298) and all 3 cutouts are the same size, the 5266 has the top bulb cutout at 1 o'clock and it's wider. I believe the second unit is the North American spec? The 5266 unit also has the "12V 45/45W" printed on it that should indicate a NA unit, but I just want confirmation. What positively ID's the UK from Euro assembly?

Now I'm questioning what I installed in the bike a few years back.

Bike
VStrom 650
Yep, I know that. What identifies the RHS from the LHS assemblies, ie Euro from UK?
My ST11 had a flat beam pattern. It was suitable for Left or Right side use. This was a 98 UK bike. If the headlight is for a particular market there is generally a pointer on the glass to indicate so. Left for Left, Right for Right.
Upt.

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
Unfortunately it's not clear enough to make out any indicators. I checked all 3 of mine and none have any directional indicators that I can see. The unit installed in the bike has that Euro "3rd light", that little marker light between the 2 bulbs. Obviously not connected on my bike, I removed the bulb but left the mount in to fill the hole in the bottom of the assembly.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you have a headlight assembly that 'standard' h4 bulbs won't fit it, that pretty identifies it as a USA model.
I guess you could put the 'known' USA beside the other one and look at how the glass on the front looks in comparison or other differences.

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
This should help:

Taken from https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/question-about-st1100-headlight-unit.185501/#post-2469399
(as I'm at my GF's place across town and can't access all my pics...)
I did see that thread and re-reading it I think I see it now. I'm not entirely sure what I installed a couple years ago, but it appears I might have the "flat" assembly currently installed and the Euro model like yours sitting here on my counter. Th 2 similar units have the same glass pattern, but the unit on the bike currently fits native H4 bulbs without shims. The other spare one is definitely the OEM unit I removed with the Honda tab configuration. I can't remember my thought process back then, but somehow the one I meant to install like yours above never made it into the bike. Thanks for getting me straightened out on these.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the unit on the bike currently fits native H4 bulbs without shims...
The receptacle for H4 bulbs isn't an indicator, as also UK and OZ spec run with H4 bulbs...
But only the EC spec, RHS drive features the lens cut featuring the upward kick pattern...

Top Bottom