ST1100 heat-related clutch issues

Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #
I've posted in more detail the story of my bike on my-mc.com, but I thought I'd see if anyone here can add to the excellent help I've received so far from them.

I've done a bunch of fettling on an ex-police bike I bought about a month ago after it had been in storage for about a year, and currently the issue I'm working on is the clutch.

Firstly the thermostat appears to be stuck open. I'll fix this in due course, but I mention it because I think it's relevant to the clutch issue, which appears to be heat related.

I flushed the clutch hydraulic fluid a week ago because it was getting pretty dark in colour and it seemed like a fairly sensible bit of maintenance. This is the first time I've bled clutch hydraulic fluid, so I could quite possibly have done a bad job of it. I also have recently flushed / replaced the coolant.

The clutch appears to work normally when the engine is cool (under about 1/4 on the temperature dial) but as the engine warms up, the clutch lever needs to be pulled further back before it appears to be actually doing anything to the clutch, the first part of the lever's movement seems to be only against the spring of the lever, and not the somewhat stronger springs in the clutch. I'm not getting any slipping, just more movement before the clutch disengages.

When I first noticed this odd behaviour, I suspected I'd made a hash of bleeding the clutch fluid, leaving moisture in there which was boiling at high engine temperatures and of course compromising the hydraulics. I had another go at bleeding the clutch and also had a good look at the reservoir and breather hole etc. Everything looked just perfect, the fluid was coming out the bleeder screw the same colour as it had gone in the reservoir, there was no obvious dirt impeding the master cylinder (I only looked through the breather hole in the reservoir) but after a squeeze / bleed / release cycle, the lever was taking several pumps before it felt like the I was fully connected to the clutch at the slave cylinder. Just as when the engine's hot, the first part of the lever's travel felt like it was against only the lever's springs, but as I pumped it half a dozen times or so, the travel before it felt like I was actually operating the clutch reduced to normal.

Is this normal? I was expecting it to only take one (or maybe two) pumps to fully fill the master cylinder and bring the clutch to normal operation. I didn't notice the first time I bled the fluid because I got my wife to man the lever, I'll ask her tonight if it did the same first time around.

Having re-flushed the clutch hydraulic fluid and put the bike back together, I took it for a test-drive and all seemed well until I noticed that the temperature dial was at about 1/4 (with 1/2 being normal operating temperature - ambient is about 15'C and I was traveling mostly between 40 & 60 mph) which suggests the thermostat is stuck open.

Once I got into town with speeds around 15-30mph, the engine temperature [edit: not "speed"!] rose and the clutch started acting up again, exactly as before. Having discovered that pumping the lever seemed to fix the symptoms with a cold engine, I thought it might help with a warm engine, but it didn't seem to make any difference. The only thing that seemed to help was speeding up for more air-flow over the radiator (oh NO! ;-)) but that's not much of an option in town traffic!

So, I'm thinking there surely must be moisture involved, reacting to engine heat, but I've bled the hydraulics twice and I'm pretty sure I got it right the second time around! Is there some secret pocket where wet fluid could get caught? What about the pumping-the-lever fix when I was flushing / bleeding, does that point to some problem with the master cylinder? (I'd rather not have to pull it apart, but if that's the fix, I will!)

Come to my rescue, ST-O! :-D

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Police bikes go through clutches. It doesn't matter which brand of bike. police use the clutches a lot.

Wet clutches are more grabby when the oil is cold. I had a Vulcan 750 that really locked up and growled when cold, fine when warm.

I would suspect either the clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder need to be rebuilt since pumping the lever gives better feel. If you had air in the system there would always be a spongy feel. Engine heat isn't going to boil the moisture from the brake fluid in the system. If the cylinder rebuild doesn't solve the problem, new clutch will be needed.

Police use clutches.

Ralph Sims

OP
OP
Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #
The clutch itself works just fine, no slipping and when the clutch lever does its job, there's no grabbing either. I have a feeling the clutch itself may not be the original, this bike has been civilian for quite a while (I think the police only use them for a few years and it's a '98 so it's probably been in civilian hands for over half a decade).

I'm definitely putting my money on the hydraulics rather than the friction plates.

Having said that, what do I know? :p

Cheers & God bless

OP
OP
Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #
I missed off the earlier part of the saga in this post (including getting the temperature dial working in the first place!) but part of that was that the clutch wasn't quite right much earlier than the bleed, that was what led me to consider bleeding it in the first place (the PO said the bike had been looked after so I wasn't going to bother doing the fluids until I'd run it for a while)

I'm pretty sure it's not air, the problem only happens when the engine is hot and goes away again when the engine is cooler (and by cooler, I mean just driving around at higher speeds will do it with the stuck-open thermostat)

I'm not suspecting a leak, I can't imagine how that would un-leak when the engine cools, unless perhaps it's a combination of a leak that's worse with a hot engine and a problem with the master cylinder getting re-filled such that it can keep up with the leak providing it's only a gentle one :-S I'm not sure I can think of a way this can be, but I guess it's possible...

The first time I bled the clutch fluid, I did undo the banjo instead of the bleed nipple by accident. I wonder if that's part of the problem. Perhaps it might help to take it apart and giving it a good clean (and a new washer or two, I guess)

I'm slowly getting to the point where I think dismantling / cleaning / reconstructing might be the way to go, and if I'm doing that, it might be worth getting a new line, if that's not too expensive...

I think I'm going to have to buy another bottle of DOT4! :p

Cheers & God bless

Sammythesnake,

I have this problem did you find the definitive answer?
Was it the clutch pack or the hydraulics?

I have just bought a seal kit to try first - seeing as a clutch pack wont be cheap.

Ian.

Hi, I've got this problem also, clutch works fine on short trips even when riding normally on long trips but as soon as I stop the clutch fluid seems to overheat and then I lose the clutch totally. Leave it for half an hour and it returns once its cooled down.

It then rides perfectly when you got the wind cooling it down, however once you stop again you lose the clutch again, did you get it resolved?

I change the fluid to 5.1 but made no difference

I have the problem on my "new to me" 1993 ST1100 Bike seemed fine on the 150 km ride out. Parked in the sun and seemed iffy on take off then could not get neutral and clutch barely working. Got home okay and read up on it. The bike only has 77,000 km on it so I could see it being seals Was not a police bike What should I check in what order? Gonna have the dealer do it.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Parked in the sun and seemed iffy on take off then could not get neutral and clutch barely working.
When looking at the view glass of the clutch master cylinder, which color has the brake fluid in there?

When looking at the view glass of the clutch master cylinder, which color has the brake fluid in there?
The glass itself is very discoloured after 20 years in tropical heat.

I'm also going to order the adjustable clutch lever from the VFR 800 .... I have hand problems and the long pull is annoying.

•••

BTW there is a bit of a "burble" when the bike is at idle. I'm used to twins - is the burble a product of the 4 cylinder or do the carbs need some care.
The bike runs strong and smooth and aside from the clutch issue there is no problem at idle - it's just a tad uneven I think but then I don't know what it should sound like.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the comment - that post was a long time ago - the link you followed didn't work any more , so I've updated the clutch link to this to keep the post up to date. You were obviously able to find your way around though. In case you hadn't realised it, the bit on carb balancing to which you refer: "Received wisdom is that some sources for the procedure for balancing the carbs is incorrect" is actually referring to the info that you provided many moons ago !
Yes, I remembered, John; so I added the smiley face, although it sure doesn't seem like it was that long ago...!

Turns out the slave cylinder failed completely - must have been on it's way out. New one on Thursday - back on the road. Not too much pain.

yah yoo I think I got it fixed. had exactly the same problems with engine heat and failing clutch. I replaced the three seals in the clutch slave cylinders cleaned everything spotless reinstall everything. that was the easy part I had a lot of trouble clearing the air out of the master clutch cylinder it took some doing to get a clutch feel back and get the air to stop bubbling up from the master cylinder. once that cleared the rest was easy. and yes the exhaust does get in the way of the one slave cylinder bolt but a scissor jack on the lower pipes, apply a few turns just enough to remove the bolt and slave cylinder comes out clean. I took a ride tonight and got her good and hot and the clutch works cleaner and smoother the heat does not change anything, now I hope it just keeps on going.

Bike
Honda St1100
I've posted in more detail the story of my bike on my-mc.com, but I thought I'd see if anyone here can add to the excellent help I've received so far from them.

I've done a bunch of fettling on an ex-police bike I bought about a month ago after it had been in storage for about a year, and currently the issue I'm working on is the clutch.

Firstly the thermostat appears to be stuck open. I'll fix this in due course, but I mention it because I think it's relevant to the clutch issue, which appears to be heat related.

I flushed the clutch hydraulic fluid a week ago because it was getting pretty dark in colour and it seemed like a fairly sensible bit of maintenance. This is the first time I've bled clutch hydraulic fluid, so I could quite possibly have done a bad job of it. I also have recently flushed / replaced the coolant.

The clutch appears to work normally when the engine is cool (under about 1/4 on the temperature dial) but as the engine warms up, the clutch lever needs to be pulled further back before it appears to be actually doing anything to the clutch, the first part of the lever's movement seems to be only against the spring of the lever, and not the somewhat stronger springs in the clutch. I'm not getting any slipping, just more movement before the clutch disengages.

When I first noticed this odd behaviour, I suspected I'd made a hash of bleeding the clutch fluid, leaving moisture in there which was boiling at high engine temperatures and of course compromising the hydraulics. I had another go at bleeding the clutch and also had a good look at the reservoir and breather hole etc. Everything looked just perfect, the fluid was coming out the bleeder screw the same colour as it had gone in the reservoir, there was no obvious dirt impeding the master cylinder (I only looked through the breather hole in the reservoir) but after a squeeze / bleed / release cycle, the lever was taking several pumps before it felt like the I was fully connected to the clutch at the slave cylinder. Just as when the engine's hot, the first part of the lever's travel felt like it was against only the lever's springs, but as I pumped it half a dozen times or so, the travel before it felt like I was actually operating the clutch reduced to normal.

Is this normal? I was expecting it to only take one (or maybe two) pumps to fully fill the master cylinder and bring the clutch to normal operation. I didn't notice the first time I bled the fluid because I got my wife to man the lever, I'll ask her tonight if it did the same first time around.

Having re-flushed the clutch hydraulic fluid and put the bike back together, I took it for a test-drive and all seemed well until I noticed that the temperature dial was at about 1/4 (with 1/2 being normal operating temperature - ambient is about 15'C and I was traveling mostly between 40 & 60 mph) which suggests the thermostat is stuck open.

Once I got into town with speeds around 15-30mph, the engine temperature [edit: not "speed"!] rose and the clutch started acting up again, exactly as before. Having discovered that pumping the lever seemed to fix the symptoms with a cold engine, I thought it might help with a warm engine, but it didn't seem to make any difference. The only thing that seemed to help was speeding up for more air-flow over the radiator (oh NO! ;-)) but that's not much of an option in town traffic!

So, I'm thinking there surely must be moisture involved, reacting to engine heat, but I've bled the hydraulics twice and I'm pretty sure I got it right the second time around! Is there some secret pocket where wet fluid could get caught? What about the pumping-the-lever fix when I was flushing / bleeding, does that point to some problem with the master cylinder? (I'd rather not have to pull it apart, but if that's the fix, I will!)

Come to my rescue, ST-O! :-D

Cheers & God bless
I had exactly same issue and rebuild of cluch slave cilinder helped.
All the best.

Top Bottom