ST1100 hitch-need pics

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Ok, someone, somewhere, has got to have pics of a hitch for an ST1100, both showing the design and then how it's mounted. I've been searching for an affordable used hitch for one, but haven't come across anything I can afford. The boss just set me up at work with a new welder. I've worked in machine shops before so I can weld. If I can get some clear pics I'm hoping I can fabricate something. Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Thanks, they do help. Just curious, on the rear most support, the bars appear to dog-leg and are bolted somehow, I assume, to the bars that bolt to the rear framework under the tail cowl? Not really clear about that part.

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I have built a hitch for myself. When the trailer is done,(week or so) I will try to post picks of both. After test ride of course,I wouldn't want to share ideas that don't work.:CanFlag1:

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Definitely interested in some more detailed pics for this. I want to build a trailer/hitch for myself as well. I may try making it a little easier to change the rear tire, but we'll see when the time comes.

I would assume steel would be best to make it? Aluminum might stress from a bouncing trailer?

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The lower arms are bolted to the muffler mounts only? It would seem floppy, as the mounts are rubber bushings and the aluminum sode plates are also on rubber bushings.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Just a thought.... has anyone made a hitch that attached to the rear swingarm only? Just thinking that this would relieve all load from the suspension, just the tire and bearings would be loaded. And they have to carry the load anyway.
Of course, brackets would have to be welded to the swingarm itself as attaching points, but I've welded on Honda swingarms before and it didn't do any harm. Just a thought....

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've got a Classic Industries hitch that I slightly modified for "I-Lean". I can snap some pics if that would be helpful...

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
This is a hitch that was custom made for my bike by the manufacturer of our trailer. Of course it is intended for a 200 pounds monowheel trailer, but it is very stiff and don't see why you could not pull a 500 pounds trailer with it. What I like about this hitch is that it is almost invisible when the trailer is not there.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Outside working on figuring out a hitch right now. Just came inside to make sure Dave went on the inside of the saddlebag mounts and not outside as it appears to be far easier to do that, but harder to bend the metal bars out of the way.

Dave, do you like the height of your hitch? I plan on doing a similar hitch/trailer setup to Gene's with the U-joint rather than a ball. Should I mount mine a little higher than your hitch?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I finally snapped some pics of my Classic Industries hitch on my ST1100. It has been slightly modified; I welded on the receiver tube and gusset.

There are 2 flat steel bands that go up inside the tail section. It is necessary to make 2 cuts in the inner fender to attach these bands.

Attachments

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Thank you :)

I haven't finished mine yet, but mine is a tad different so far. I attached my vertical bars to the post that the bolt holding the rear of the saddlebag mount holds in place. The vertical bars follow the plastic fender down to just below the angled part of the saddlebags before they angle outwards to meet the horizontal bars extending backwards from the muffler bolts. The horizontal bars slightly angle inwards as they go rearwards. I hope to make the receiver part easily removable from the horizontal bars so that I can change my tires without removing anything other than the receiver.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
Does anyone know of companies that are still making ST1100 hitches?

Most of the links I have found are bad. About the only one I have found so far is for $249+30s&h. Are there any others out there?

Otherwise I might try and make one with a friends help and will probably use the ~$160 HF mini trailer kit.

What are the load limits on towing with the ST11 and the mini HF trailer?
Could I use it as a dolly trailer for just the front wheel of a towed motorcycle?
Can the ST tow ~600lb on an HF trailer?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does anyone know of companies that are still making ST1100 hitches?

Most of the links I have found are bad. About the only one I have found so far is for $249+30s&h. Are there any others out there?

Otherwise I might try and make one with a friends help and will probably use the ~$160 HF mini trailer kit.

What are the load limits on towing with the ST11 and the mini HF trailer?
Could I use it as a dolly trailer for just the front wheel of a towed motorcycle?
Can the ST tow ~600lb on an HF trailer?
That sounds like a good price for a ST1100 hitch from what I could find. I have a few web sites that show $295 for the hitch before s&h (at http://hitchusa.com/). I can't find the other web sites.

Top Bottom