ST1100 no crank when starter button is pressed.

Bike
1999 ST1100
I have owned my '99 ST1100 (Standard, no ABS) for three years and do all my own maintenance. It is ridden regularly, averaging 13k miles per year, with 49k miles currently on it. The battery in it is less than a year old, I plug in a tender when it is parked and I have a voltmeter mounted.

I rode to work today (30 miles), rode an errand at lunch (10 miles) and everything was normal. I geared to leave work 4 hours later and when I went to start the bike, it did not crank. The headlight goes out properly but the starter doesn't make a sound. There is a "click" in the fairing simultaneous with headlight going out (unloading), no other reaction.

Voltage is 12.1 at key on, drops to 11.4 or so when the starter button is pressed, but no crank. I got a jump pack from work and conntected it, but no difference. Neurtal light, sidestand light, horn, everything else is normal.

Likely culprits? Starter, starter relay? I realized after I got home (company vehicle) that I did not try it with the sidestand up, even thought it was in neutral, but will do so tomorrow.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Im thinking that standing battery voltage should about 12.4 volts. Also check your clutch side stand and neutral safety switch.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
All of the above, and check the gear is in neutral. Also try it with sidestand up and clutch lever pulled in.
(Checking to see if any of the sidestand, clutch and neutral switches are the culprit).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd also start by looking at the RH switch-pod first, then, as shown by @kiltman the connector of the starter relay as well as relay itself... (like bridging those fat wires to see if it cranks then)
Next down the line would be loose (mains) ground wire as well as brushes and commutators of the starter motor...

Last edited:

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
It's a while since I had an ST1100, Martin, but why the LH switchpod? It's just horn/turn signals/hi/lo beam as far as I remember.

Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
You stated that you keep your battery on a tender which is not a bad thing to do especially if the bike is not going to be ridden for some time. Most good batteries when fully charged are 12.6 volts but if you battery as you stated showed 11.4 there typically is not enough current to turn the starter. Personally, quick diagnoses to do is hook a jumper pack or jumper battery up and try to start the bike. If the bike starts then disconnect the power pac and look at you voltage out put. If it is not between 12.6-15.0Vlts at 5,000rpm then you like have an alternator or regulator/rectifier that is bad.

If this is the case what is going on is the bike is running soley on the battery and eventually drains the battery as you ride. I should have noted that if the bike does not turn over with the jumper pack and just clicks then I would try putting a 12v source straight to the starter motor. If the motor does not turn over you likely have a seized starter motor which back feeds current into the starter solenoid when it backs it clicking noise which this noise can also be associated with a "weak battery".

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Go with the easy stuff first.

The battery is already suspect. Try jump starting it with a known good battery.

If it starts, you probably need a battery. Maybe a charging system problem but I doubt it.

If it doesn't start, check the main relay connector (see post #4 above). It's to the left of the battery. It should have a green fuse visible in the rubber mount. Right in front of the wires. His is missing. :biggrin: see red wire bypass:

Does the clock work? Set it. I think it resets to 12:00 after trying to start with a bad red wire connection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom