St1100 only starts with hand i front of carb inlet

As title states. It turns and turns until I put my hand in front of a specific intake then it it starts and runs perfect. Jet nozzle? Anyway to clean without taking apart?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The intake in the air filter box is situated at the rear of that part, so are you blocking that, as the way you worded your question leaves doubt in my mind just what you are blocking with your hand?

You would have to have at least the seat and shelter (cover over the filter box) off to block the actual intake.

OP
OP
The intake in the air filter box is situated at the rear of that part, so are you blocking that, as the way you worded your question leaves doubt in my mind just what you are blocking with your hand?

You would have to have at least the seat and shelter (cover over the filter box) off to block the actual intake.
the cover is off and I cover the inlet of the second carb on the right. Kicks right off when I do that

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
If you are trying to run the engine without the air filter cover this is why it will only run with you restricting the intake. The ST1100 are setup to run with the restriction of the air cleaner and airbox. With the air cleaner cover off it is way too lean to run properly. If you have a plugged pilot jet it may also run better closing off the intake.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Have you checked the choke cable? it may have worked loose and is not providing the choke you expect.

If the bike has been sitting awhile the idle jets can easily become clogged. Tell us a little about the bike ,has it been ridden regularly?

OP
OP
It was ridden regularly until we moved in the rainy season. I had to park under a tree in my new driveway as I didn’t have garage space yet. Sat for about a month then I started it but noticed it was hard to start. Then eventually never started. Changed the battery and plugs, all the fluids last week trying to fix her up. She bump started perfect in second gear. I’ve since out seafoam at 50/50 into the tanks and ran it in idle for a few minutes then seafoamed the intake and ran to hot. Now it’s just this needs hand in front of inlet

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Have you checked the Choke cable? It's under the air cleaner housing.
Seafoam can be good and bad, if you use too much it can cause the plugs to foul. You might want to pull the plugs and clean them.
Also replace ALL the old fuel with some fresh stuff.
You probably have a carb cleaning in your future.

OP
OP
Have you checked the Choke cable? It's under the air cleaner housing.
Seafoam can be good and bad, if you use too much it can cause the plugs to foul. You might want to pull the plugs and clean them.
Also replace ALL the old fuel with some fresh stuff.
You probably have a carb cleaning in your future.
I only use ethanol free fuel but doesn’t mean other additives couldn’t gunk up. I agree with the seafoam. I ran that bad boy super hot and check plugs after they cooled. Seemed okay still. I’m thinking it’s the jet. I’m going to put the cover back on like others suggested and see if it helps by restricting air flow.

Bike
R1200rt
If it doesn't fast idle with the enrichener on better check the cable and/or levers.

Top Bottom