st1100- pulses per mile/kilometes question

i'm installing a rostra,audiovox cruise control on my 1100,and have run into a minor question. but i'm unable to find the answer. the dip swtich settings require that i enter a value for "PULSES PER MILE/KILOMETERS". does anyone know what this number is?

OP
OP
sorry i left out that this is an electronic actuated cruise control unit # 250-1316 i have a feeling that this pulses per number isn't critical . but once covered up with plastic fairings, if it needs to be changed- at that point a true pita! nailing it the first time will go along ways in getting this set right. thanking all in advance

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Sorry, you had Audiovox in the first post....

I can't help with the electronic CC. Good Luck!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Since the ST1100 has a mechanical speedometer as opposed to an electronic one, there will be no PPM source to connect your CC to. You're going to have to use a coil connection or a wheel magnet I think, in order to monitor speed.

OP
OP
you bring up a good point..one that i thought i already had worked out,now rethinking things. the feed for the coil puts out a signal and on the last C.C(vacume-audiovox) i used that for my speed input (same st1100). this i belive is the "pulse per mile" (square wave) input they are requesting for the right dip switch combo. i belive i can use the same input to control this newer cruise control. i am planning on calling the tech help line at rostra tomorow with a few other questions.. and thought it unreasonable to assume that they should know this peice of information, and i should have it ready, in case it comes up. for what it's worth- rostra and audiovox are NOW the same company and for the time being they are marketing this under both names. the actuall unit carries the rostra name and is called "global cruise electronic cruise control"... only the packageing and pricing differs i belive you'll find the audiovox being the cheaper. the pettigree of the current audiovox vacume units are unknow to me.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I don't think the coil connection is the same thing as PPM. That terminology is usually specific to the electronic speedometer sensor/sender, usually placed somewhere in the transmission. The CC computer expects this to be a constant factor. Anything coming off the coil will be variable. On the vacuum controlled AudioVox CC, there was a specific wire to be connected to the coil.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
PPM is taken either from an electronic speedometer or from a magnetic pick up set, usually attached to the rear wheel.

IF attached to the rear wheel, then the PPM is the number of magnets times the revs per mile. Revs per mile can be calculated from the tyre manufacturers tech data tables for the tyre. So pi x d for 160/70R17 is Pi x 654(mm) or 2055.4mm per revolution.
1000 metres / 2.0554 metres = 486.52 revs per kilometre. or 486.52 x 1.61 = 783.3 revs per mile.

Multiply this by the number of magnets fitted to the wheel to find the pulses per mile...... for an ST1100.

You can't get this from the coils.

OP
OP
well after talking to a "tech rep" at rostra thia morning it looks like the coil and magnets are the only option i have. i ordered a kit this morning. with the change over to a signal generator on the wheel, calculating the pulses per mile has gotten way easyer. thanks to all!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
To the gr8t waldo : How did it go installing the cruise control ? How many magnets did you put on the wheel and where did you mount them ? Did the cruise control act responsively on the road like one should and keep the speed constant ? You used a non-vacuum unit ?

Top Bottom