ST1100 Spec tire size not available in Michelin PR/PR2

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Problem: Pilot rear not available in specified sizer for rear tire?

Spec's from my manual, 94 st are:
front: 110/80 v18
Rear: 160/70 V17

But the pilots aren't available in the rear size.

So the question is - is it acceptable to use an alternate size (default is i hesitate to do this)? or is it better just ot find another tire.

Bike is new to me so this is the first time through tires for me on this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

OneSided

Panda Racer Extraordinare
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Re: Spec tire size not available in Michelin PR/PR2

Problem: Pilot rear not available in specified sizer for rear tire?

Spec's from my manual, 94 st are:
front: 110/80 v18
Rear: 160/70 V17

But the pilots aren't available in the rear size.

So the question is - is it acceptable to use an alternate size (default is i hesitate to do this)? or is it better just ot find another tire.

Bike is new to me so this is the first time through tires for me on this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul
Here are your options

Bridgestone BT023
Avon Storms
George Combo G547/BT020
Metzeler Z6
Bridgestone G547/G548

Hope it helps.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300A

So I keep reading about ST1100's with PR/PR2's - does that mean they are just running a rear tire that is not the spec size - and there are no (known) consequences?

OneSided

Panda Racer Extraordinare
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Here are your options

Bridgestone BT023
Avon Storms
George Combo G547/BT020
Metzeler Z6
Bridgestone G547/G548

Hope it helps.
There's our resident tire expert.....follow his link in his signature...or here to get an even better price....$263 for the pair.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #

I am running the ST11 non-abs with PR2's ... 120/70-18, 170/60-17

Size of front is very close <1%, rear i think was ~3% off. No problems, don't worry about the size difference they handle great. Tested up to 130mph.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #

My brother and I are running PR2's on our ST1100s as well with the smaller rear tire. Personally we're not that impressed with the tires. They aren't wearing nearly as well as we had hoped.

As for actual problems caused by the smaller rear tires, the only thing I've noticed is that because of the smaller rear tire the bike doesn't lean over as far when it's on the side stand, so I use my center stand a lot more with the PR2s. Basically, my bike sits up straight enough that I don't even like to leave it on the side stand on level ground some of the time. Of course you have to realize that I'm in South Dakota where wind can be a big issue and I don't really feel like having to pick up a 700+ lb bike just because I was too lazy to use the center stand.

My next tires won't be the PR2s. I'm not certain which tire I'll go with, but I'll definitely change. I might even go back to bias plies. The PR2s are sticky as hell and run through curves and twisties like a dream, but the unfortunate thing is that we don't have many twisties in South Dakota. We have miles and miles of straight roads with 75 mph speed limits. Oh, and remember those winds I mentioned? They push the bike around like mad with the radials, but I don't remember them being nearly as bad with bias plies.

I would love to hear from others who deal with similar riding situations. I'd like to know opinions of other tires, both radial and bias ply, when riding in windy situations.

Good luck!

Duke

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!

^ I got those tires to Duke and what he says is true. A little harded to get on center stand. It may make it a little lower. If you want radials the go with Mets.

Catt speaks highly of the "combo" he has come up with. Just some more info.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

I just ordered the STorms again for all 3 STs in the garage... I guess you can tell what I think of them... :)

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300A

I researched the the tire options last night (yes for hours!).

After reading all the posts, have decided to try my chances with the Avons. Yes perhaps more risk of wobble, however I won't be riding with out hands (I may for a second take one hand of occasionally for a second - so if it does experience the wobble - I'm not sure it will be present in my riding style).

If I do have a woblle maybe that means my head bearings are due - 32k miles.

Sounds like I may get 10K out of them I'd be happy with that, the other part i like is the profile retention (don't like handeling of flat centered tires).

I may have gone with PR2's if they had the spec size.

Thanks

Paul

Bike
2000 ST1100

I am running the ST11 non-abs with PR2's ... 120/70-18, 170/60-17

Size of front is very close <1%, rear i think was ~3% off. No problems, don't worry about the size difference they handle great. Tested up to 130mph.
+1
I switched from the Bridgestone BT020's on the ST1100 and have enjoyed the handling improvement of the NON-Spec Michelin's.

Jim

2000 ST1100
1987 K100LT

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #

^ I got those tires to Duke and what he says is true. A little harded to get on center stand. It may make it a little lower. If you want radials the go with Mets.

Catt speaks highly of the "combo" he has come up with. Just some more info.

BTW...Tim suggested a different tire, but I chose the PR2s. Next time I'm going to listen and not call with a decision already made.

Also, "Two Brothers" must be Southern Speak for "Customer Service" because that's exactly what you'll get when you deal with them. I really wish other places would take lessons from these guys.

Top Bottom