ST1100 Towing a kayak?

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Anyone have experience with towing a kayak or canoe with an 1100. I've seen a lot of bikes towing trailers but never a kayak or canoe. It seems many of those I have seen towing have an excessive tongue length for what they are towing which leads me to think a kayak would be easily towed. Max length of kayak or canoe or both at once would be 12ft.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've pulled my home-built one wheel trailer a couple thousand miles without issue. I have a Classic Industries hitch that I modified.

Purchased a Mini-Mate camper last year and will be pulling it with the 1100.

Towing a kayak shouldn't be a big issue. Being so light with so much surface area, crosswinds and dirty air would be my biggest concerns.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
See no reason why you couldn’t tow a kayak or canoe. I have seen all sorts of things towed by bike.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It seems many of those I have seen towing have an excessive tongue length for what they are towing
From what I have read tongue length on trailers intended to be towed by a motorcycle are intentionally made long. The extra length allows for more stability between the motorcycle and the trailer. Many people actually weld in an extra piece to the tongue to increase its length even more for this reason. As stated above, because of it's light weight, I would think that crosswinds would be the biggest concern.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I’d think, having heard how a rowing shell for eights affects the tow vehicle, and I am extrapolating quite a bit, probably too much, but being careful here, that you would want the wheels fairly far back on that rig.
The kayak may have an aerodynamic shape that would oscillate. If the front deflects left, it could go that way pushing on the toungue until the toungue forces it the other way and the kayak catches air on that side with the moment at the center of the axle. If the wheels are farther back the side loading on toungue would be reduced. The wheels further back would have a similar effect as an aerodynamic tail weather vane.
My thought when I see relatively long toungues on bike trailers is that they reduce the leverage the load has on the trailer has to affect the bike.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I looked into this seriously a number of years ago for a 17’ canoe. At the time there was an outfit in Minnesota (Minneapolis suburb, IIRC) that made a nice one. Assume a commercially available unit would be well tested. I think a tight cover on the canoe would be important for aerodynamics and cargo protection. FWIW

Edit: Google “canoe trailer for motorcycle”

John

OP
OP
Walleye

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Thanks to all. Maybe with all the floods here I should be considering an ark. I have numerous locations to fish in a 300 mile circle and could really save on gas with the ST if I can put a competent trailer package together.

Bike
R1200rt
I looked into this seriously a number of years ago for a 17’ canoe. At the time there was an outfit in Minnesota (Minneapolis suburb, IIRC) that made a nice one. Assume a commercially available unit would be well tested. I think a tight cover on the canoe would be important for aerodynamics and cargo protection. FWIW

Edit: Google “canoe trailer for motorcycle”

John
Thanks John 240285

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
You'd get pulled over in the UK where overall length has to be less than 2.5 metres measured from the motorcycle back axle to the rear of the trailer.

I would build a mini teardrop camper and invest in a sea eagle razorlite 12ft is long to tow behind a bike

OP
OP
Walleye

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
I would build a mini teardrop camper and invest in a sea eagle razorlite 12ft is long to tow behind a bike
Appreciate y'alls suggestions, but I have decided against this option. I am now leaning towards a motorcycle trailer for the bike and slapping a fishing kayak or 2 on top of my Honda Element, and towing the bike. That gives me the three options at the destination, fish, ride or drive with a far greater amount of gear. I was negotiating on an aluminium motorcycle trailer last week but they decided not to sell. I am leaning towards the Walmart fishing kayak, hard to beat for the price.

whatever works for you is the best option. i really like the camper idea with the fold up razorlite but i dont drive cars so i have to go that option. if i didnt i would also probably look at trying to mount a kayak but uk limits prevent that unless i go over bike mount

Top Bottom