ST1100 water pump rebuild recommendation...

Bike
'91 ST1100
Hi guys. It's been a while since my last post. Not much going on with my 240,000 mile 1100 since replacing the wiring harness to repair a headlight circuit issue. While getting ready for the Vintage event at Barber last year the bike started an intermittent high pitched whine similar to a bearing noise in the front of the engine. I suspected either the belt tensioner idler or possibly a water pump bearing. I pulled it apart and replaced the timing belt, tensioner and idler. The water pump bearing seemed fine and wasn't leaking so I put everything back together. In retrospect I am starting to think that I should have looked into rebuilding the water pump. So my question for the gang would be a recommendation for someone who might do a reliable water pump rebuild. Seems that I saw a post with instructions on a DIY rebuild but would consider sending it off for a reliable rebuild. Was a Honda tech for 15 years which has helped me keep this thing going all this time. Actually love keeping the old girl going and shooting now for 300,000 mikes. Thanks in advance for any help and or recommendations.

OP
OP
Bike
'91 ST1100
Thanks guys. Knew that I could count on the ST community. Will check to see if Tom can help or order parts to do the repair myself.
Also experiencing a problem with my temp gauge dropping off at highway speeds but I believe that I had seen a post before about a possible ground problem and after talking with one of my old Honda tech buddies he reminded me that the grounds were all bundled together under the fairing so will go look for that problem when I address the water pump.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks guys. Knew that I could count on the ST community. Will check to see if Tom can help or order parts to do the repair myself.
Also experiencing a problem with my temp gauge dropping off at highway speeds but I believe that I had seen a post before about a possible ground problem and after talking with one of my old Honda tech buddies he reminded me that the grounds were all bundled together under the fairing so will go look for that problem when I address the water pump.
Two grounds -
The main one at the bottom of the engine near the starter (ground cable for battery) (drop the lower cowling).
Back on the left side near the grab handle (remove the left side panel).

Last edited:
Top Bottom