St1100 will not stay running...Help!!

Bike
2001 ST1100
So months back I bought another bike that was a fixer up. Well I fixed it and began riding it and I parked my 2001 st for a bit. "Big Mistake". Now I want to get on it and it won't run for me. I finally got it cranked after dealing with a low battery but it will not stay running unless the choke is fully engaged or I am giving it a little throttle with the choke disengaged. From the smell of the exhaust I can tell that one problem is bad gas. It smells awful! Just curious what could be the problem before I tear into it. Thanks in advance!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Clogged jets.
You can try running seafoam through it in a couple of tanks or you pull the carbs and clean the jets with either a piece of brass wire (from a bbq brush) or some monofilament.

Bike
92 ST1100
Clogged jets.
You can try running seafoam through it in a couple of tanks or you pull the carbs and clean the jets with either a piece of brass wire (from a bbq brush) or some monofilament.
Using ANYTHING metal, brass or otherwise to clean jets is a big no-no! If necessary, use a pointed tootpick. Any nick or non-visible distortion of openings WILL affect jets proper function.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
You may want to start by draining the bad gas, add fresh with a treatment of "sea foam" to the tank and ride it, then repeat. Probably would be a good idea to change the fuel filter also.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Brass and monofiliment will not widen a steel pilot hole.
All the jets I ever removed in the past were brass, not steel, but I've never had to remove the ST jets (knock on wood). Are the ST jets brass, or steel?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
as mentioned above, I would try changing the filter and running fresh gas with either Sea Foam or Techron through it. It might be too late for gas treatments if the jets are too clogged, then you would have to disassemble the carbs and clean them all out.

Bike
92 ST1100
Sure looked like steel to me.
Honestly, never had them out of these carbs, but many a Kiehn and Mikuni carb I've had apart over the the decades are brass. Seriously doubt jets in these Kiehns are any different. Again, anything metal to clean jets IS a definite no-no, and can create smooth running issues.......just been my experience of 45+yrs.;)

Bike
'08 ST1300
I just got done cleaning all the jets and as many of the ports as possible on my '1100. I used a single strand of copper wire from a multi-strand wire and plenty of Gumout carb spray. A friend of mine uses a .010 in. guitar string. Personally I think the copper wire is your best bet, less chance of possibly nicking or scratching the brass. Plenty of gumout spray to clean the ports, jets and passages. Bike runs like a scalded dog.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The bristles of a strong nylon broom might work as well. If you know the jet/bore size you could also utilize dedicated jet-reamers, just ensure to pick the correct size. On the ST I'd checked, jets rarely needed to get actually 'poked clean', just ensure that everything else is in top order, fill fresh, premium fuel, maybe even add some quality carb cleaner as per instructions, and give it a good RIDE. After two three days on the road it'll purr like a kitten again.

Top Bottom