ST1300 ABS Brake Binding

Hi all, I have not been around for years. Just been enjoying life. Now I have a problem with my 2007 ST1300 ABS. After applying the rear brakes and releasing the pedal the brake stays applied. I can open the bleeder and release pressure and the wheel will spin freely so I know the caliper is not frozen. Hose collapsed? ABS module failure? I am not getting any ABS codes. Thanks in advance!

Hello Dave:

Welcome to our forum community.

If you can duplicate your problem with the ignition off, then that rules out any kind of ABS module (meaning, electronic) failure. Based on what you wrote above, it is very unlikely the problem is with the electronic side of the system - it is most probably a hydraulic problem, or a mechanical problem caused by dirt or a blockage of some sort.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for someone more knowledgeable about brakes than I to come along and answer your question, here are some excellent articles about the ST 1300 brake system where you might find the solution to your problem:

ST1300 - Brakes- Avoiding the Pitfalls (download the PDF attached to the first post)​
ST1300 - Rear Brake Piston Cleaning (explains how to do a super-important but often overlooked preventative maintenance task when you are servicing brakes)​

Michael

Last edited:
Hi all, I have not been around for years. Just been enjoying life. Now I have a problem with my 2007 ST1300 ABS. After applying the rear brakes and releasing the pedal the brake stays applied. I can open the bleeder and release pressure and the wheel will spin freely so I know the caliper is not frozen. Hose collapsed? ABS module failure? I am not getting any ABS codes. Thanks in advance!
Welcome back to the site Dave.
Do make use of the white courtesy phone. Invaluable help.

Hold my beer....I got this...:rofl1:
The healing begins tomorrow.... :run1:

Sticky pistons would be my bet.

In the meantime, I'll hold Larry's beer & wait patiently to hear the outcome. :)

Welcome Dave. You are so lucky to have Larry here cause I'm sure even Honda looks at this site to see what he says!! I had the same issue and he, as well as others got me going in no time. As I've said in other posts, the people here have already had most of the problems and are happy to help you solve yours. Good luck!

Any chance the rear tire was changed recently? The last time I had my tires replaced, the dealer put the rear end together wrong, the spacer was in the wrong place causing the brakes to rub. Simple easy fix.

All,
Thank you, for the amazingly quick response to my problem! But, I do have another question. Why is this not called "LARRY"s ST FORUM" ? This man answers your questions with accurate information before you can finish the question!! Larry you are the best!! Oh, looks like the cause of rear brake grabbing is (drum role please) the SMC which we know is the "secondary master cylinder" Dave

Last edited:
All,
Thank you, for the amazingly quick response to my problem! But, I do have another question. Why is this not called "LARRY"s ST FORUM" ? This man answers your questions with accurate information before you can finish the question!! Larry you are the best!! Oh, looks like the cause of rear brake grabbing is (drum role please) the SMC which we know is the "secondary master cylinder" Dave
Glad you found the culprit.

Why is this not called "LARRY"s ST FORUM"
Because then Honda would send the assassin's. He's clearly stolen trade secrets to know so much.

The man even uses snakes to guard his workshop, just in case...

Last edited:
Hold my beer....I got this...:rofl1:
The healing begins tomorrow.... :run1:
Larry, I knew you were going to nail this for me! I like it when I am right! lol. Finally got my parts Friday from Ayres . Put it together with the SMC and all 6 new pads and fresh fluid. Flushed and bleed per your instructions including weighting rear pedal and compressing front lever overnight. Yes, I did check to make sure they release as well. The brakes are firmer now than they have EVER been! I bought this ST new in 2007! Way to go my new friend!

Back
Top Bottom