ST1300 ABS issue

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
We need a little more information.
Does the rear brake drag? Is the rear wheel hard to spin? How many rotations will it spin with (1) firm push?
Is the rear rotor Hot to the touch?
When was the last time the bike was serviced (Brake/Clutch Flush/Bleed)?
Have you installed new tires recently?
Are you using OEM factory pads or aftermarket ones?
Do you have a service manual?
Is the ABS light blinking?

OP
OP
We need a little more information.
Does the rear brake drag? Is the rear wheel hard to spin? How many rotations will it spin with (1) firm push?
Is the rear rotor Hot to the touch?
When was the last time the bike was serviced (Brake/Clutch Flush/Bleed)?
Have you installed new tires recently?
Are you using OEM factory pads or aftermarket ones?
Do you have a service manual?
Is the ABS light blinking?

Thanks for the reply. I try to find out more information about this and come back to you.
By the way, is anyone know where can I look for a handlebar on my ST1300 Year 2006?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Henry:

Welcome to our forum community!

It is not uncommon for ST 1300 owners to encounter problems with the function of the rear brake, but almost always - meaning, 99.9% of the time - these problems are caused by not following correct procedures when changing brake fluid or other brake components (such as brake pads) on the motorcycle. The other 0.1% of the time the problems are caused by a worn part. It is very rare, almost unheard of, for problems to be caused by any kind of failure of the ABS system.

Our forum is organized into a number of sub-forums. Here is a link to the Forum Table of Contents. If you have a look at that page, you will see two sub-forums that I think will be of particular interest to you as you research and solve your brake problem. One is the sub-forum ST 1300 Brakes, and the other is the sub-forum ST 1300 Articles. The brakes sub-forum is self-explanatory. The 'Articles' sub-forum is a collection of the most useful and best-written posts about various ST 1300 maintenance activities.

You might want to grab a coffee (or perhaps a nice cool drink, if it is hot in Singapore at the moment) and spend an hour or two browsing through those two forums. Chances are that you will come across a discussion that will describe exactly the problem you are having, and also provide the complete solution.

Larry (@Igofar ) has asked some questions in his post #2 above. After you have done all the reading and research, do come back with the best answers you can provide to those questions, and I am certain that all of us will be able to help you get your problem solved.

Michael

OP
OP
Hi Micheal,
Really thanks for guiding me. I'm new here and would like to seek more information from all of you and it's really helpful to me to treat my issues.
Thanks
Henry

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Henry:

It's an honour to help - we are a very friendly community here, and our primary focus is on helping each other with technical issues (although some might argue that our primary focus is on finding interesting places to ride to and eat at :) ).

I suggest you start by downloading and printing out, then carefully reviewing, the very scholarly article that John Heath (@jfheath ) wrote explaining ST 1300 brake system maintenance. It's attached to the first post of this discussion: ST1300 Maintenance - Brakes- Avoiding the Pitfalls. I suggest printing it and reading it from the paper copy because the brake system is complex, and you will likely want to refer back to that document many times as you read other discussions about the brake system.

The next article I suggest you read is the first post on the discussion Brakes - Operation of the Master Cylinder. That will give you a solid background on how the master cylinder works, although I don't think that the master cylinder is the cause of your problem. Nevertheless, when troubleshooting brake issues, one needs to have a good grasp of the concepts of how everything in the system works, and that post about how the master cylinder works explains things really well.

Next, go have a look at some of the discussions about the Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC), which is an assembly up on the left side of the front wheel that is critically important to correct operation of the rear brake. It's premature to speculate that your problem is caused by that part, but once again, you need to know how the system works, and that particular part is often the cause of problems - not necessarily because the part fails, but because folks fail to exactly follow the shop manual instructions when replacing brake fluid or replacing brake pads. Here are two good posts to review (don't get too caught up in the details, just try and get comfortable with the purpose of the Secondary Master Cylinder): ST1300 Maintenance - Photos of dismantled SMC and also The inner workings of the Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC).

Finally, take a close look at this article: ST1300 Maintenance - Getting all the air out of the brake system. There is a PDF attached at the bottom of the first post, download that PDF to enable you to see the diagrams at full size. The real value of that post is not learning how to get air out of the system (although that certainly helps solve problems), it is the diagrams that show you the very complex path that the brake fluid takes, and the different ways that both front and rear brakes can be applied. For example, did you know that every time you pull the front brake handle, you also apply the rear brake? Likewise, every time you press down on the rear brake pedal, you also apply the front brake.

By the time you get through all that reading, you will most likely have a much better understanding of the ST 1300 brake system than most Honda service technicians.

Michael

Top Bottom