ST1300 and heat issues

TPadden

Tom Padden
This post was out of line and I am sorry if it was offensive to my friend Tom. Some comments that you can say face to face don't come off the same on a faceless internet forum.
Dave,

Not to worry, I wish I didn't hit the send button on about half of my replies (conservative estimate) :eek::. This time I REALLY was hot and cranky ...... mea culpa :).

Tom

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My first ST was an 06, heat wasn't an issue. Now I have an 03 ST and I can say for sure the 03 is hotter than my 06 especially on humid days.
Mitch, there were some changes between 03 and 04 that affected heat output. Someone more knowledgable than I can chime in or correct me but I think the changes include a metal reflector that is attached inside both sides of the lower cowl and the tip over wing covers have vent openings on the underside of them. I have heard that the changes included a thermoblanket under the gas tank but my 05 doesn't have anything like this under there.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Heat caused me to sell my 2007 Venture. It made riding under 45 mph pure hell if the temperature was over 80. I think I am more sensitive to heat that most.

My BMW R1200RT NEVER makes me legs or feet feel any heat. But I think every other bike I had did to one degree or the other. But the Venture was absolutely the worse.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2006 BMW R 1200 RT
2007 Royal Star Venture <gone>
2007 V-Strom DL1000 <gone>
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

If you don't like hot, you prolly need to stay on the RT. The 1300 is a hotter bike than most.

But hot doesn't bother me, all I'm saying I feel the difference.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Mitch, there were some changes between 03 and 04 that affected heat output. Someone more knowledgable than I can chime in or correct me but I think the changes include a metal reflector that is attached inside both sides of the lower cowl and the tip over wing covers have vent openings on the underside of them. I have heard that the changes included a thermoblanket under the gas tank but my 05 doesn't have anything like this under there.
I *think the metal on the lower fairing was added to protect the plastic from heat. Not heat management for the rider. IIRC if you need lowers you can buy a 03 set and reuse the metal from the 04-09 plastic.

I'm pretty sure my original TO covers had vent on the underside.
Never looked on the highway blade covers.

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
If the temp outside is over body temp (98.6), moving rapidly through the air will make you hotter unless you are soaked with plenty of water to evaporate, and even then in some areas it may still make you hotter.

The ST isn't really any "hotter" than my air cooled 750F3... but I've spent more time on my ST in hot climes like Phoenix... so its just seems hotter.

Top Bottom