ST1300 brakes and heat

Just got a 2003 ST1300. During the short test drive I didn’t notice anything unusual. The bike has 19k mile and the previous owner let it sit due to medical issues that kept him from riding.
I went on a longer ride yesterday and noticed several things (which I am comparing to my 2014 CBR).
1. When I would throttle harder there seems to be a lot of vibration.
2. The rear brakes seem gummy when I first press down on the rear brakes.
3. The accessories holder in the fairings got so hot I could have cooked a meal in them.

I’ve seen several posts about spongy brakes. I wouldn’t mind doing some of the work myself but don’t know if I should just take it to a mechanic.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. My opinion - Do not take it to a mechanic. These bikes are so reliable that few mc mechanics see enough of them to become expert at fixing them, and horror stories abound. We (website members) will help you until you scream uncle, all you need is the willingness to learn. In fact, there are a number of ST owners in your neck of the woods*, maybe someone will help you out with a few of the chores. Since you just bought a used bike, you should consider doing a number of routine maintenance items. First tool you should look for is a Honda Service Manual for your bike. Check ebay and keep your eyes peeled in our For Sale section. Change all the fluids, go over the bike from stem to stern checking nuts and bolts for proper torque.

For starters, go to Articles in the blue band at the top of this page. Click on it, then ST1300 and look through the articles. There is a specific brake bleeding sequence that seems complicated at first glance, but once you read through it a couple of times, it is easy. You can also to to top right of this page and type in Brakes in the Search box. Start reading the threads. If nothing else, we are an entertaining lot, so you won't be bored. Skip the oil threads for now - those are for winter reading when you cannot ride.

*Go to the blue band at the top of this page, Riding > RAN Lists > USA. That's the Rider Assistance Network. It usually used for riders in trouble while far from home, but you can see if there are any guys nearby and give them a call and ask if they can help you with a couple of maint. projects.

jbird24

Reach out to the Facebook group: Honda ST Riders. Theres a Gent on their who may give you the American 2010 updated PDF SERVICE MANUAL version. You will need Dropbox/Email

Top Bottom