ST1300 Caliper rebuild kit

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am looking for a caliper rebuild kit and a lot are available on the market, Chinese made mostly.
But some are listed for the 2003 - 2007 ST and some are specified for the ST issued after 2007.
The kit listed for the first generation of ST are twice the price and the sets are much more limited in content.
I thought that all generations of ST were equipped with the same rotors & calipers.
Am I wrong?
Thanks!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes

The 2008 model, the front calipers are a completely different design, requiring different mounting brackets, different pad springs different pads and different pad pin.

However - you need to look at the fiches for what you want. I looked up the 2006 and 2009UK part numbers.
The pistons appear to be the same size for both - but note that the left hand side pistons are different from the right.

You will need to check the fiches to make sure whether or not they are identical for your country and model.
But I reckoned that for the models that I saw, the 2006 and 2009 had the same pistons and seals.

But you need to check for yourself - on a different fiche to be sure. (I used fowlers - UK)

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Yes

The 2008 model, the front calipers are a completely different design, requiring different mounting brackets, different pad springs different pads and different pad pin.

However - you need to look at the fiches for what you want. I looked up the 2006 and 2009UK part numbers.
The pistons appear to be the same size for both - but note that the left hand side pistons are different from the right.

You will need to check the fiches to make sure whether or not they are identical for your country and model.
But I reckoned that for the models that I saw, the 2006 and 2009 had the same pistons and seals.

But you need to check for yourself - on a different fiche to be sure. (I used fowlers - UK)
I appreciate the info.
What I thought would be an easy hunt is becoming a little bit more challenging now.
I have a 2005 (US) and I can't even find "kits" for this year. It looks like you have to buy every parts separately, pins, seal, springs...
Enjoy the summer and thank you for answering the question!
Jacques

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would strongly urge you NOT to purchase any aftermarket kits, or parts for your brake calipers.
Your already having too many different issues with your brakes as it is, and you will just be adding to the confusion etc.
Order OEM parts from Honda.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I would strongly urge you NOT to purchase any aftermarket kits, or parts for your brake calipers.
Your already having too many different issues with your brakes as it is, and you will just be adding to the confusion etc.
Order OEM parts from Honda.
Absolutely, I was just learning at the next step just in case.
if bleeding the circuit is not fixing my issues, I will have eventually to look at the pistons.
One step at the time!
Good advice, thank you!

Top Bottom