ST1300 Cam Chain tensioner

Hey guys, I am replacing the alternator on my '03 ST and unknowingly removed the right cam chain tensioner and now I cannot get it in far enough to thread the bolts back into the block.

Is there a trick to this that I am missing? I took the tensioner out to try to figure out any tricks but I am not seeing anything obviously. I tried as hard as I could to depress it far enough to thread the bolts but I am just barely too far to get the first thread. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ride Safe, Have fun!

Bubs

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
You have to manually turn the tensioner back and hold it in that position while you bolt it back in place. You can get the proper tool or just use a small screwdriver. Then you release the screw and the spring plunges the tensioner back in against the chain guide as far as it can.
I've attached pictures showing my old tensioner that I thought was bad but the new one acted the same. (the left side tensioner acts weird after install)
It shows the tensioner extended all the way, then I used the little tool to wind the tensioner in, then lock it in place with the tool. You get the tool with a new tensioner. If you use a small flat screwdriver, just use a pair of small vice grips to hold it in place while you thread the mounting bolts in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
If you're trying to get to one of these buggers while working on your valve shims and need to remove a cam to replace them under the caps, it's a little harder to get to but you can make a tool similar to the one that apparently comes with a new tensioner. I used a hacksaw blade, which ended up twisting over the length of it more than desired, but as long as the end looks like the diagram in the manual, it'll turn the tensioner and the shoulders will lock in place. You'll just want to make sure it doesn't pop out while you have the cam shaft out!

20200519_074910.jpgPXL_20230410_064845461.jpg

Top Bottom