ST1300 "cockpit" heat...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I picked up my '06 ST1300 Friday after work. I've long read about the heat issues with the ST1300, and experienced it for myself. While on the highway, I noticed heat around my torso and discovered that there was virtually no air movement in that area. Has anyone experimented with some simple deflectors to generate some airflow in that area to prevent the heat from lingering?

Thanks!

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You can add an adapter to the windsheild mount to change the angle of the windshield. These tend to open the bottom clearance maore and allow more air flow through the bottom and over the dash.
I have cut additional vent slots in my windshield, mostly to reduce the back pressure, but they help with the air management in the cockpit.

OP
OP
LegoMan
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I noticed that there are a set of screws at the very top of the back side of the fairing on both sides which could be used to install a custom set of deflectors. I'm just kicking around ideas at this point. The extra heat will be a great thing during the chilly spring/fall riding season though!

OP
OP
LegoMan
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Could you provide a photo of you windshield modifications to give me an idea of what you did?

Thanks!

Byron

STOC #
The area behind the windshield and infront of you forms a sort of air pocket, expecially if the windshield is raised. The trick is to keep the air in that area moving. I have a Cee Bailey shield with a vent that allows more air flow in this area. The idea is to get air behind the shield flowing up meeting the air coming over the shield and push it higher to provide you less turbulance. This also helps sucking the heated air away. The Laminar Lip does the same thing. I actually shortened my shield by 3" so I could get the airflow down to my shoulders with it set at the lowest position.

Experiment and see what works for you.

Top Bottom