ST1300 floorboard or footpeg lowering adapter?

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Itching to start another ST product project. Let me know please. Thank you!

Charlie
PSR
PSR-USA.com

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Let you know what... Are you looking for one? Looking for ideas?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Itching to start another ST project. Let me know please. Thank you!
Since he's made a few goodies for the ST my guess is he's wondering if there's any interest in floorboards for the ST or footage lowering adapter. If so he might make a project for another ST product.

I like floor boards and had a really nice pair on my GL1000 with heel/toe shifter. The factory brake pedal worked fine. Really made riding distance a pleasure.

Making floorboards and a shifter would seem like a HUGE undertaking. From time to time I thought maybe "half a" floorboard might be viable. For me. From slightly aft of where the factory peg would be to slightly forward. The idea would be to allow your foot to access the factory shift lever without needing a new heel/toe unit.

I know I know- it steals "real" adventure and sport out of sport-touring while certainly leading to a fiery death.

Bike
2006 ST1300
if you DO make a lowering adaptor, make it in 2 different sizes. I bought one on eBay, i think an MCL unit, and although it makes my knees a LOT happier, it CAN cause a few *gasps* in the twisties, from my boot hitting the ground.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
it CAN cause a few *gasps* in the twisties, from my boot hitting the ground.
:D I feel your *gasp*. I had one myself just from keeping my toe under the shift lever in a tight left-hander. It threw my line off and initiated a pucker factor but no damage to anything. I've made it a point not to keep my toe there ever again.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I may or may not ride beyond many of us here... I am ALWAYS after the elusive "skilled and proficient" rider class status. Comfortable on sportbikes, even with their limited turn radius. (Speaking of slow, tight turns.)
In pursuit of the never-ending skills-improvement zen state, I left the street-only lifestyle 20 years ago to pursue dualsport riding - I had never intentionally ridden in the dirt, in my 30-odd years of riding. (Note the word "intentionally".) But it did, in fact, improve my riding significantly. (Who knew you could have so much stinking fun - at only 15pmh?!?!)
Another improvement came after selling a Honda Blackbird and buying a single-cylinder BMW f650gs. What? Getting better by riding a smaller, less powerful bike? It happened to me.
Then I became a certified MSF RiderCoach, and passed all the classes to teach every 2-wheeled offering under the Motorcycle Safety Foundation umbrella. Another giant step in becoming a better - not perfect - rider.
So now, back to a pure streetbike again - this gigantic, behemoth of 700-plus pounds of tupperware, motor and wheels. The outright heaviest bike I've ever owned, and the weight is initially frightening in double u-turns (aka figure 8's). In fact, the only time I've dropped this beast is shortly after taking ownership, and trying tight parking lot turns early on.
All this to say, I frequently scrape the side of my foot on either side, when riding my favorite twisties - it turns that well. However, it's probably more due to thoughtless foot placement (half hanging off the footpeg, while thinking I'm on the balls of my feet) than actual grounding in turns. I know this, because I have yet to drag the footpeg feelers. But I'll get there.
So I would not wish to add floorboards to the ST, from a personal perspective - it would limit my lean angle.

Top Bottom